part seventeen

"i cannot believe the screen went up in flames like that," kelce shook his head

"hey you got some good swings in before it did though," topper said, fist bumping rafe who sat down on the couch next to him, cracking open a beer.

"we have to talk," riley's voice suddenly came out of no where, startling the boys. the petite brunette rounded the corner of the house to come into view and walked up the stairs to join the group on the patio.

"hey riles," topper greeted the girl. "talk about what?"

riley stalked over to where rafe was sitting and grabbed his hand, "talk about this." she was referring to his knuckles that were evidently bruised and cut. she knew it was from beating up jj.

"you wanna kiss it better sweetheart?" rafe chuckled, earning a smack on the back of the head from the girl.

"i heard about the fight," riley grumbled.

"little dust up, that's all it was," topper shrugged, throwing back the rest of his beer into his mouth.

"yeah and for good reason," rafe added.

"for good reason?" riley scoffed. "and what would that be?"

"those pogues sunk my boat," topper mumbled. riley just stared back at the blonde. she was sure she hasn't heard him correctly.

"they- you- your-"

"malibu 24-mxs," rafe finished for the girl.

"bastards," kelce scoffed.

"they sunk your boat?" riley asked again in disbelief. she was coming to a realization that this was the secret jj refused to tell her.

"see this is why we warn you not to associate with them," rafe told the girl. "i mean look at the shit that they pull."

"damn," riley sighed, sitting next to topper who honestly just looked glum and defeated. she put a hand on his shoulder and offered him a small smile.

"beer?" kelce asked the girl.

"sure."

x

riley was back at her house later that day, trying to wrap her brain around the whole thing with the pogues. she couldn't even think about the fact that jj had been so nice to her last night after he had sunk her best friend's boat.

while sitting at the kitchen counter with her head into her hands, she heard a knock at the door, bringing her out from her thoughts. she opened it to reveal the one and only blonde that wouldn't seem to leave her mind at the moment.

"hey," jj smiled at the girl. "is kiara home?"

"at the wreck," riley muttered, not even bothering to look the boy in the eyes. "she'll be back soon." with that riley tried to close the door but jj stopped it with hand.

"is something wrong?" he asked but riley just continued to walk back to the kitchen, ignoring him. "hello? can you not even look at me?"

the brunette turned around giving jj a look that lacked any emotion, and she crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"what?" jj asked, clearly confused.

"listen, can you please just l-"

"leave?" jj finished for her. "what the hell did i do?"

"oh i don't know, does sinking a boat ring a bell?" riley seethed making jj sigh and put his head down.

"and you wonder why i didn't tell you," jj muttered.

"what's that supposed to mean?"

"that you're a fucking kook!" jj exclaimed, throwing his arms into the air. "we're not friends riley. you'll never understand the shit we do and why we do it."

"i'm sick of this hot and cold bullshit," riley said.

"yeah okay, whatever that's supposed to mean," he rolled his eyes.

riley scoffed, "you know what? you're right jj. we're not friends and we're never gonna be so just drop it."

"so you're just gonna go back to ignoring me then?" he asked through gritted teeth.

"i don't know why i ever stopped," riley huffed.

jj didn't say another word before he walked to the front door, making sure to slam it as he stepped outside.

riley groaned as she heard footsteps coming quickly down the steps, knowing that her mother who was soon to appear in the kitchen.

"who just slammed the door?" mrs carrera asked as she unsurprisingly walked in.

"no one," the girl muttered.

"really? cause i thought i just heard a boy's voice-"

"mom," riley groaned, stretching out the word.

riley's mother hummed in response. "well then what are you doing just sitting here?"

"am i not allowed to sit at the kitchen table?"

"you should be working on that essay for the merit scholarship," mrs carrera smiled at her daughter. "you have been making progress on that, haven't you?"

"yes," riley grumbled.

"okay well i'll need you to run down to the market for me later, since you didn't get the things i asked when you supposedly went the other day," her mother said.

"i uh, i just got side tracked," riley quietly told the woman. "sorry."

mrs. carrera just hummed before looking the girl up and down and walking out of the room. riley pressed her forehead to the counter once she was out of view. why was she already regretting what she had said to jj?

authors note:

super short chapter and boring but i promise A LOT is going to happen during the midsummers chapters which will be coming very soon. stay tuned! love y'all and hope you're enjoying the story.