Pride Month, June 2020

Happy Pride Month everyone!

As I mentioned in the description for this, I identify as a straight, cis woman. I do consider myself an LGBTQ+ ally.

I have many friends within the LGBTQ+ community. It has taken me quite some time to really learn about the LGBTQ+ community, and I still have room to learn.

I remember when I first really started encountering people in the LGBTQ+ community. It was back in 2014, and I had made a four specific friends at Anime Expo that year (they'll remain unnamed in this). One friend identified as trans, one was either non-binary or gender fluid, another was gay, and the fourth friend was bi (I'm pretty sure she is bi, but I'm not 100% sure). [Note: I haven't had a lot of contact with these friends in a while since we all kind of drifted apart for various reasons, so my memory may be a little off.] One of my close friends - who I've known since Pre-K/Kindergarten - also came out to me as bi by the time we were part way through high school.

I had known about the LGBTQ+ community in 2014 (and leading up to 2014). However, since Anime Expo 2014 was my first major exposure to it, I had to do a bit of research about it and get myself familiar with everything covered by LGBTQ+.

As someone who identifies as a straight, cis woman, it was initially a little difficult to adjust to calling someone by a different set of pronouns. As I researched it, though, it became easier. And I've always tried to make sure that people know that they can correct me if I misgender them and use the wrong pronouns; I also try to say that I want to get their pronouns correct so that they are comfortable around me.

I feel like if you identify as a straight, cis person (i.e. you identify with the gender you were born with), then this is the best thing we can do. One: Accept your friends and family members who identify as part of the LGBTQ+ community. Two: If they ask you to use specific pronouns, try your best to use them until you get used to identifying them by their preferred pronouns; and be okay with getting corrected by them if you don't get their pronouns right.

Here are some things you - as a straight, cis person - can do if you don't know someone's pronouns. (1) Check their social media bios, especially Instagram or Twitter; they will most likely have their preferred pronouns there (although this isn't 100% guaranteed). (2) Reach out to them - text or private messages on social media - asking them directly what their preferred pronouns are. (3) If they don't respond immediately and their pronouns aren't in their bio, just use they/them until you know.