𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER FIFTEEN | HEART OF DARKNESS 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

KLARA WALKED INTO THE PARLOR WHERE SHE SAW STEFAN STOOD IN FRONT OF THE FIRE, WHILE DAMON WAS BEHIND HIM. The blonde furrowed her brows at the sight of Damon, she assumed that he and Elena would have already left for Denver.

"Hey." The blonde vampire weakly announced herself as she moved over to the liquor and poured herself a bourbon. "Have either of you heard anything from Klaus?"

"Not yet. I'm sure I will soon, though." Stefan didn't bother to remove his gaze from the flames that roared in the fireplace. Eventually, he turned around and faced Damon and Klara. "He's expecting me to deliver two stakes. I only have one."

"Well, that's going to be disappointing for him." Damon hummed in response. Alaric's alter ego had hidden his White Oak stake, and after constant searching, nobody could find it.

"No. We'll get it out of Alaric, eventually." The blonde moved beside Stefan with a light sigh.

"I like that confidence, Goldie-Locks. I don't share it, but I like it."

"You don't think I can do what it takes?" Stefan looked toward his older brother.

"Well, you're good Stefan again. You're in control." The eldest eyed Stefan up and down. "The only question is, who are you in control for. Elena or—" Their conversation was interrupted by Elena, who wandered in with her jacket in hand. "Have you ever flown first class?"

"Who did you have to compel for that?" A scoff left the Gilbert's lips as she folded her jacket over her forearm.

"Please. I used miles." He moved forward and picked up the luggage that had gathered and walked out of the door.

Elena followed after him but turned back and gazed at Stefan and Klara. "Stefan—"

"Be safe." Stefan smiled back at her with a small nod, and then she finally left the house.

Klara understood why Stefan had let Elena travel to Denver with Damon, and not him. His relationship with Elena was virtually non-existent while Damon was in the picture, even more so now that he was harboring feelings for Klara.

"You ready to dance with the devil?" Klara asked Stefan as the two of them made their way down to the basement where Alaric was locked in the cellar.

He was laid on the camp bed with his eyes closed, which caused Klara to tilt her head. "Do you know how hard it is to fall asleep when that is what you're supposed to do?" Alaric huffed out lowly.

"Well, look, we know it's not easy, so Damon suggested we bring something to—" Stefan lifted a bottle of bourbon and tapped it against the bars. "—help speed up the process."