part nineteen

"this is disgusting," kiara whined as she stared at herself in the mirror

"i know it's just horrible," mrs. carrera mockingly smiled, rolling her eyes at her daughter. "i'm asking you to relax and go to a fun party."

just then kiara's bedroom door opened and riley stepped in. she was wearing a white silky gown that nearly matched her sister's, except for that kiara's dress was purple. their mother thought it would be charming if the twin's wore similar gowns. the girl's disagreed but they didn't have a say in the matter.

"oh honey you look beautiful," their mother said warmly as riley awkwardly stepped into the room. the girl mumbled a small thank you before her twin huffed and turned around to face the two.

"i look like a bourgeoisie pig," kie grumbled.

"will you please not worry about socioeconomic injustice for one night?"

"mom, people three miles from here have no power, no running water, and we're going to midsummers. that's so tone deaf." kiara made sure to narrow her eyes at riley as she spoke.

"we worked hard to get here," mrs. carrera spoke, brushing off her daughter's prattle.

"how could i forget," the girl muttered under her breath.

"i will not tolerate attitude tonight," mrs. carrera scolded, "from either of you." she pointed between the two girls before walking towards the door. "be downstairs in 20 minutes."

"how is it that you're the only one speaking and i still get in trouble," riley mumbled once their mother had left the room. kiara just scoffed before stomping over to her dresser to grab the earrings she was forced to wear.

"did you need something?" she huffed.

"i just uh... needed help putting this stupid flower thing in my hair."

kiara turned around to her sister, rolling her eyes. but nonetheless motioned for the girl to sit down on the bed and hand her the crown.

"have you heard from your friend?" riley asked quietly.

"you mean jj?" kie scoffed. "why would you care? your friends are the ones who sent him to jail."

"why are you acting like it's my fault?" riley snapped. "it's probably not even topper's fault. i'm sure his mom called for the arrest warrant."

"of course you're sticking up for him."

"i'm not-" riley paused, taking a breath to calm herself down. "i am not sticking up for him. i just think this whole kooks vs pogues thing is getting out of hand."

kiara finished putting the flowers into her riley's hair as she clenched her jaw, not in the mood to argue with her sister any longer.

"we should go," kiara gritted.