Prologue

6 years ago

"Do you really have to go? We can make room for one more. Barry did take the last room, but you can always sleep in my room an-"

"Iris, thank you so much,  but I really can't stay here now." Piper smiled sadly. Goodbyes were always hard.

Piper knew it wasn't a goodbye, at least not a permanent one.

"Wait where are you gonna go? Where are you going to live? You're technically homeless."

"Starling City. My cousin Felicity lives there and she agreed I can stay for the time being while I went to university there." She let out a slight smile.

"I heard they had a good forensic science department over there."

"Exactly." Piper replied, sliding her finger across her suitcase handle. "Stop worrying, I'll be fine."

"In all passengers departing to Starling City please board now. All passengers to Starling City please board now."

Piper's throat tightened and she felt her ears going red.

"Is this really happening?" Iris asked, wiping away the first tear.

"Yeah." Piper replied sadly, pulling her friend closer to her. The two girls hugged tightly before Piper pulled away and took a deep breath.

With all the strength she could muster, Piper turned around and boarded the train.

"Try not to let Barry die alone would ya?" She joked, before waving a last goodbye and moved to find her seat.

Even though Piper was way out of earshot, Iris laughed and mouthed an "I'll try"!

The last thing Piper saw was Iris'  smiling face as she pulled out of the station toward her blank canvas.