to add insult to injury

Humans and supernaturals were never meant to mix.

She learns this from a painted world, where it is revealed to her that she is too close to the Far Shore to live much longer. She learns this from a ghost named Hanako, who tells her that he will help her live a happy life for the next 90 years.

She learns this from a humid summer night, from a simple walk home from school, from a car who doesn't stop early enough. She learns this from a hospital visit where she is told that she shouldn't be alive, that she's incredibly lucky to have survived.

She also learns not to count her blessings so early, because there was no way that she could live through a mugger's knife to her stomach, but then she wakes up in the alleyway without so much as a stab wound, and she really should talk to Hanako-kun about this.

:-:

Humans and supernaturals were never meant to mix.

She learns this in the third floor girls' bathroom, when the floors are shining with the water from her mop, when she asks Hanako why she isn't dead. She learns this from his sad eyes and lingering hands on her face when he tells her that they should go talk to the Fifth Mystery of Kamome Academy.

She learns this from a sad and tired teacher who has seen too many of his students suffer. She learns this when she also learns that she will never die, can never die. She has been around supernaturals far more than any human without high spiritual levels should, short lifespan or not, and she has payed the price.

Yashiro Nene can never die, and her wish has been granted. She will live for the next 90 years. And the next 90 after that. And the next 90 after that.

She breaks down into sobs because she has read enough novels about tragic romances to know that never dying means you will see all of your loved ones pass, it means that you will be forever alone. Hanako holds her in his arms as she falls to pieces, because this was so much worse than having less than a year to live.

:-:

Kou is silent when he hears the news. He stares at his hands for a while, and then looks up at her with the saddest blue eyes she's ever seen, and smiles a little brokenly as he thinks of how he'll never have to worry about extending her lifespan again.

Yashiro shakes when she greets Aoi the next morning and if Akane already knew about her predicament, he said nothing.

Supernaturals and humans were never meant to mix, but Akane could not sympathize with the girl even though he has likely broken this rule more than her. He is part of a Mystery that controls time itself. He has a choice. And he has chosen to remain mortal, to die with his beloved, and Yashiro will remain sad and alone.

She notes how she hasn't seen Teru since she told Kou, and it doesn't really surprise her all that much.

:-:

Yashiro passes by Tsukasa in the hallway on her way to the girls' bathroom and for once he does not smile. His childish demeanor has dropped, and he stands there silently, waiting. She greets him hesitantly, fearfully. His face is blank, and somehow that is much more terrifying than when he destroyed a School Mystery in one blow.

He tells her that he grants wishes for the dead. But she will never die, she notes warily, solemnly, and he blinks once. Twice. He nods in agreement. He says that his brother has a wish, even if he will not voice it aloud. She wonders what it is but does not ask. That is an invasion of privacy, she knows, but the apparition in front of her does not seem to care.

Supernaturals and humans were never meant to mix, Tsukasa notes, face still blank. But his twin, despite knowing this, wishes that she stays by his side. He wishes to never be alone again, because 50 years of solitude will take a toll on anyone.