0.1

-Edited-

*

11:09pm

-

It was a late winter night. Normally, I sat at the bench and wrote in my journal, and stormed up some feelings to write down, but tonight... I decided to stroll around the dark and lonely alley. No body ever came here, or at least I never saw anyone step foot here. Rumors flew around about this place, and it seemed like I was the only one damaged enough to enter the gates of the leveled alley.

I would rather put my life at risk then be home with my parents always arguing, and my mom always crying everytime my dad said he regrets marrying her, and then telling her that he's sorry. It's like a cycle or routine, and my mother just accepts it. I feel bad for my younger sister. She has no choice, but when I'm eight teen... I'll be taking her with me, but as for now.. this old alley is all I have.

I continued down the pathway until I seen a guy with his back against the brick wall, and red puffy eyes. I wonder if he came here on a nightly basis as I did. It seemed a little unusual because I thought I was the only one who came here to release every emotion I was feeling, but apparently not.

"You too?" I asked, while taking a seat near the boy. He looked my age, Asian maybe? He was lightskin and he had dark curls sticking out of his jet black beanie.

"What?" He licked his pink plumped lips, as more tears fell down his cheeks. His voice seemed like he's already been through puberty.

"You can't sleep, so you're out here?" I asked, bringing a strand of hair behind my numb ear. I should've brought some winter essentials. You know, hats, gloves, and scarves.

I heard a low chuckle. It wasn't because of a humorous joke, but more of a serious situation. I wonder what his household is like... if it's anything like mine, then I understand. If not, but it still sounds bad... I'd probably still understand.

"No one can ever sleep in my house." The boy said, looking at his knees which were hugged at his chest.

Before I can ask the guy his name, and get the actual reason he was out here. My phone started ringing. I slid the answer icon and put the phone to my ear.

"Hello." I spoke into the device.

"Carter, come home please!" My little sister screamed into the phone. "Come home, please. Come Carter." I heard her sobs, and I felt her tears.

"Okay Aubrey. Calm down, what's going on?" I tried understanding her muffled words under her loud sobs.

"Dad is hitting mom, an-and sh-she is bleeding." She cried louder.

"Okay Brey, I'm coming. You need to hide." My breaths started to get ahead of me, and I couldn't catch up.

I got up without saying bye, and started running home to rescue my 12 year old sister. She's so harmless and would never fight for herself, and if my dad ever hit her like he hit me... she'd be dead. She won't fight back, and that's what encouraged me to run faster.

I barged into the door and ran to find my sister ignoring my parents, and running up the stairs to hear sobs coming from the dark empty guest room. I walked towards the closet, listening to the sobs grow louder as I opened the closet door.

I sat down and pulled her into my lap rocking back and forth while bringing my thumb back and forth against her hair. I would never let anything happen to my little sister, and as many times as I put my life at risk for hers... I don't regret it.

"Shhh, it's okay Brey. I'm here, it's okay." I whispered, as I was still catching my breath.

I couldn't stop thinking about that guy I met in the alley. He seemed so broken yet so put together. He was interesting, and I was on a mission to know more about him. I don't even know the kid's name. He looked like a Caleb, but I'm just guessing.

"Look at me, Brey." I turned her face towards mine, and carefully looked her in her eyes as she did the same.

"Mom is going to be okay. Tomorrow we have a big day, and I need you to be brave." I kissed her forehead, and gently wiped her warm tears.

Tomorrow is the day our name gets drawn to go to the capitol and become a target for practice. One female and one male. Basically, it's an annual event, and they pick between ages 12 to 18, and it's my sister's first time being apart of it all.

No one wants to get picked to get tortured, beat, drugged, get arrows shot at them, be held hostage, be forced to say things. I just don't see the point why the capitol would want to put lives at risk, young lives in that case. It's wrong.

"Let's get you tucked in so you can be an energized battery tomorrow." I smiled, while poking at my sister's tickilish spots.

Hearing her giggle and laugh is like angels singing to me. It's the only sound I love to hear. It's so amazing to know that you can be bestfriends and sisters. Aubrey is the only thing that I want to wake up to, and without my sister... I wouldn't be doing all the things I do.

My mom is never there for my sister, and that's what worries me most about the annual event that goes on. If I leave.. no one will be there to protect her. The fact that I will be getting tortured until I die doesn't scare me, or anything. Leaving my sister does.

If anything... I'm winning for her. "I love you, Brey, and I'm keeping my promise. I'll win for you if I get picked." I kissed her goodnight.

-

A/N : First Chapter. I hope you enjoyed it. This is kind of like The Hunger Games, but not really. They get drawn for a whole other reason. If you want to find out more, just click 'add' and follow along. If you follow my account.. thank you, and welcome to the TayFam. I love you, and thank you again. :) :* Oh and also, Kaitlyn Dever is playing Carter's little sister which Shailene Woodley is playing. Use your imaginations guyssss ; Kaitlyn is 12 in the story and Carter is 17. okok '.'