𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN | BEFORE SUNSET

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

KLARA WALKED DOWN THE STAIRCASE OF THE SALVATORE HOUSE WITH HER PHONE IN HER HAND. She hadn't seemed to have noticed that she was home alone since Stefan and Damon were nowhere to be seen, but it rarely bothered her. She was more concerned about Caroline's rant about how she hadn't turned up for clean-up committee.

"Where are you?" Caroline's voice boomed down the speakerphone. 

"Look, Caroline, I overslept," Klara grunted in her usually irritated tone of voice that she had after she'd just woken up. "It happens. Sue me." 

The blonde vampire headed into the kitchen to prepare herself a coffee, but Caroline continued to moan. "All I'm saying is that Rebekah is the only one that bothered to show up."

Klara's eyed widened as she listened to Caroline's bitter tone. "Wait, where's Matt? I thought he was supposed to be helping."

"Nope. He bailed. He got called into work so I'm left with the evil sister." Caroline exhaled deeply while Klara lifted her cup of coffee up toward her lips. "If I mean anything to you, will you please come down here?"

"Wow." A small chuckle left the blonde vampire's lips as she listened to Caroline's begging. "Way to make a girl feel guilty, Care. But, I'm feeling pretty sick, so—"

"—You're a vampire. We don't get sick, Klara." 

"Okay. Then, I need a mental health day." Klara hummed in response. The last thing that she wanted to do was go to the high school and tidy up after last night's dance. "Oh, sorry. I gotta go, bye!" 

"Klar—" The blonde vampire ended the call and pressed her phone down onto the kitchen worktop. She exhaled with a smile before she took another sip of her coffee.

Klara had every intention of having an easy day for herself, and somehow cleaning the high school wasn't within those plans. But, her phone started to ring again. She didn't even look at the caller ID before she answered because she anticipated the caller—Caroline.

"Look, Care, I—" Klara rambled on but was immediately cut off by the sound of Stefan Salvatore.

"Not Caroline." He confirmed in his usual gruff tone which caused the blonde's eyes to widen. "Look, can you drop by Elena's?"

"Elena's?" The blonde vampire echoed in confusion. "Why? What's happened?"

"It'll just make more sense when you get here, okay? Hurry." And with that, he ended the call.

Klara sped upstairs and threw on a pair of ripped jeans with a plain black tee and her usual pair of combat boots before she headed out of the door and to Elena Gilbert's home.