part twenty two

riley woke up to her mother bursting through her door, after what felt like she had slept for only two hours

the girl practically shot up from her bed at the loud noise, her heart racing at the fact that her mother was going to find jj in her bed. however, when riley twisted her head to look at the spot next to her it was empty.

"has kiara called you?" her mother asked. her voice too loud and her tone too angry for this time of morning.

"what?" riley sleepily groaned. she started to come to her senses realizing that kiara and jj must have left really early in the morning to escape being caught by her parents. "uh no," riley muttered, "no she hasn't called me."

"good god, that child," mrs. carrera huffed before exiting the room. riley flopped back down on her bed, closing her eyes and rubbing at her temples.

she couldn't believe what had happened last night. i mean besides everything that occured at midsummers and ending up at the hospital, she had sex with jj.

she groaned flipping over onto her stomach and putting her face into the pillow. what the fuck was she going to do?

riley didn't know what had been running through either of their minds last night when it happened. it was nearly two in the morning when jj first came into her room.

riley came to a conclusion that what had happened between them was simply just a way for them to relieve the stress that had been building up all day.

she fell back asleep not wanting to dwell on the situation and woke up hours later when nearly half of the day had went by.

realizing she needed to talk to sarah after finding her at the hospital last night, riley got dressed, dropped off kelce's car at his house and then walked to the cameron's from there.

"hey," riley greeted the girl lying out by the pool.

"oh hey riley," sarah smiled, removing her sunglasses from her face. "whatcha doing here?"

"i think you know why i'm here," riley teased as she sat down in a chair next to her. sarah sighed and sat up in her seat, crossing her legs on top of each other.

"alright well i'll just explain it all in one go and then you can ask questions once i'm done," sarah began and riley nodded her head for the blonde to continue. "okay so basically i met john b at the hawks nest last night and topper found us together and pushed him off, as i'm sure you've heard.

"so then we ended up at the hospital and pope said that if the dcs found john b there, that they would take him. so i called my dad and after talking it over for a while he agreed to be john's legal guardian so now he's living here with us."

"he's wha-" riley's mouth fell agape.

"wait i'm not finished," sarah cut the girl off. "um... so now john b is sorta kinda my boyfriend." riley just stared wordlessly at the girl as she ended her explanation. 

"you're john b's girlfriend?" riley breathlessly asked the girl.

"yes," sarah confirmed.

"and- and this became official, when?"

"about a half an hour ago," sarah shrugged.

"a half an hour-" riley got caught on her words as she fell into a state of shock. "what?!"

"yeah i was at the chateau with them," sarah said.

"with them?" riley gave her a friend a confused look. "like- like jj and them?"

"yeah your sister really hates me," sarah sighed. "wait wait wait, why'd you only mention jj's name?"

"what? no reason. it's just the first one that came to mind," riley shrugged, playing off her previous statement.

"i'm sure that's all it-"

"hey don't change the subject," riley warned. "we're talking about your new relationship with a pogue."

"well do you have any more questions?" sarah rolled her eyes.

"yes actually, what about topper?" riley questioned.

"what about him?" sarah let her gaze wander off and she looked out to the water, not particularly interested in talking about her ex at the moment.

"well if i remember correctly you were dating him like... yesterday," riley said.

"he called me a slut riley," sarah bit her lip. "he was never good for me. i don't really want to talk about him anymore."

"okay that's fine," riley assured her friend, giving her a sympathetic look. "another question though: why were you meeting john b at the hawks nest?"

"oh just uh..." sarah paused and looked down to her hands, "just to make out." she hated lying to riley but she knew that the pogues would hate her even more if she told her about the gold.

riley let out a small laugh, "then why were all of his friends there?"

"they were waiting in the van... for like... moral support."

"moral support?" riley repeated the girl, not believing a word she said.

"yeah, yeah moral support," sarah nodded, still not making eye contact with the brunette in front of her. "i totally forgot, i'm supposed to help my mom with dinner. do you mind if i go in? you can still lay out here if you want."

"oh sure go ahead," riley nodded, trying to not show sarah how suspicious she was. "i think i'm just gonna head home but i'll see you soon. okay?"

"okay!" sarah said sweetly and smiled. she felt guilty for keeping things from riley, however she didn't realize she wasn't the only one who had secrets.

authors note:
basically a filler chapter but i promise more jj x riley content to come.