part twenty four

riley left the chateau late that night, at a time when she knew her parents were asleep and she could sneak in through her balcony

she woke up late the next morning to extremely loud screaming coming from downstairs, and she figured that kiara had just come home after her three day pow wow.

riley flopped over in her bed, not wishing to get up anytime soon, however her door bursted open within minutes and she shot up from the bed.

it was kiara who had abruptly came in, and after shutting the bedroom door behind her, the girl stormed over to the balcony doors and pushed one open.

"what are you doing?" riley asked her sister.

kiara proceeded to step outside, not bothering to glance back at the girl. "what does it look like i'm doing? i'm leaving."

"wait what?" riley got up from her bed and followed her out. "didn't you just get home? aren't you like grounded?"

"yes but i have important shit to do," kiara brushed off her pestering twin. "besides i've already disappointed mom and dad enough, it's not like they can do much else."

"no it's because they just take it easy on you."

"take it easy on me?" kiara scoffed.

"yeah," riley said. "you know if this was me in your position they would have literally sent me to like disciplinary school by now."

"yeah right," kiara rolled her eyes before swinging her leg over the railing, preparing to climb down. "that's cause you're the perfect one."

"the perfect one," riley mumbled dryly under her breath. she knew that she was perfect in her parents eyes and normally that would make any teenager happy. but what it came with was many restrictions, high expectations, and loads of disappointment if she ever did something wrong.

riley huffed before turning to go back inside her bedroom. she flopped onto the bed and took out her laptop, deciding to finally work on her merit scholarship essay that her mother had been pestering her about almost everyday.

after spending the entire day making trips down to the kitchen to snack and typing away at her keyboard until her fingers ached, she accidentally fell asleep at her desk.

riley woke up on the hard surface to a knocking sound. every bone in her body ached because of the uncomfortable position she had fallen asleep in. she turned her head and nearly jumped out of her own skin to see a figure standing behind the glass doors of her balcony. she almost ran out of the room before blinking a few times and realizing that the figure was jj.

"jesus fucking christ," riley muttered under her breath, glancing at the clock that told her it was a little past midnight. "what the hell jj?" she said as she opened the door for the boy.

"hey," he said nonchalantly, smiling at her.

"are you high or something?" the girl harshly whispered.

"what? no," jj shook his head.

"why are you smiling like that, it's creepy."

the blonde didn't responded although the smile still played on his lips. what riley didn't know, is that jj had just come back from his mission at the crain house with the pogues. they had found the royal merchant gold just hours ago.

"so are you going to answer me?" riley said. "what are you doing here?"

"i came here to get you," he said.

"to get me?" she repeated. "what the hell do you mean? are you on crack? do i have to remind you that we like hate each other or something?"

"woah woah woah," jj chuckled, "we definitely do not hate each other."

"jj," riley groaned, bringing her palm up to her forehead.

"okay sorry," he mumbled. "yes i know this is weird. yes i know that we're not friends... exactly. but i has a good night, i've got a lot of energy, and i don't know why but my legs took me here."

"your legs just took you here?" riley scoffed.

"yup. without my mind telling them to come; so now i'm here, on your balcony, standing in front of you," the blonde nodded.

"is this the part where you like profess your love for me or something?" riley joked.

"oh no," jj said, "no no no nothing like that."

"so wait you walked here? at midnight?" riley questioned.

"well actually i drove a boat here, and it is in fact tied to your dock right now," jj smiled, proudly.

"i am not getting on a boat with you," riley stated, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"what makes you think i was going to ask you to get in the boat with me?" jj retorted.

"fine then what were you going to ask me?" riley said, pursing her lips.

jj looked at the girl, his smile falling from his lips. "i was going to ask you to get in the boat with me," he muttered.

"well then goodnight to y-"

"wait," the blonde said, catching her arm before she could walk away. "i know this is like really really really weird. trust me i know. but please, just come with me

"you're right. this is really weird jj," riley shook her head, attempting to close the door but jj caught it with his hand.

"please?" he asked again.

"you know i don't think i've ever heard you use manners like that before," riley let out a small laugh.

"okay but now that i have used my manners..." jj's words drifted off as he looked at the girl hopefully. she finally sighed and stepped out onto the balcony, closing the door behind her and giving into his madness.

"what are we even doing anyway?" riley mumbled.

"you'll see," jj said. it didn't seem that he cared all that much how odd this occurrence was.

"you swear to me that you aren't high right now?"

"yes m'am," he replied, descending down the side of the house and arriving on the ground.

what the hell am i doing right now, riley thought to herself as she swung her leg over the railing and followed the same path he had just taken.