The Thousandth Year

©Psykix 2014

These weekly meetings were always such a downright bore. It was once again that time of the week when the Elder wolves were required to gather and discuss the happenings of the American packs; newly mated couples, territory disputes, rogue infestations and the like. 

Though, in her opinion, many meetings were spent mulling over gossip.. bunch of nosy mutts that they were.

If she had it her way, she would willingly ditch the customary elder robes in favor of her dappled fur to run for hours on end through the lush greenery surrounding the headquarters.

Oh, if only..

She lost herself in her thoughts as she tuned out whatever gibberish the head elder had been droning on about, her gaze slightly unfocused as she stared out the luxurious window to her left and at the forest that called to her wolf. Beautiful.. she thought to herself as her wolf paced within her, itching to feel the soil beneath her powerful paws as she became the wind that shook the leaves.

Soon, dear.. Very soon.. she murmured inwardly to her impatient wolf, a promise made to allow her to run freely once the meeting had adjourned.

"Elder Corbin, the Corvus Pack will be expecting you within a week's time to induct their new Alpha into the books." the Chief Elder's baritone voice reached her ears, drawing her from her admiration of the greenery.

Ah, the Corvus Pack.. a lot of turmoil has been within that pack. She spoke inwardly to her wolf, who in return huffed in frustration at the thought of having to perform another induction ceremony.

"Understood, Elder Reynolds." she replied softly as she tilt her chin downwards in an understanding gesture while inwardly she scolded her wolf. Hush.. it is good the Corvus have a new Alpha. You know exactly how the old one ran things. It is good that the path of things were changed now rather than later, when a war would have been inevitable. The only response she received from her dapple furred half was a soft grunt before she receded to the back of her mind.

The sound of chairs scraping against the wooden floor called her attention to her surroundings as the other Elders began to rise from their seats, a signal to the distracted she-wolf that the meeting had concluded.

"Mille!" the damned nickname she had obtained upon her thousandth moon pricked at her ears as she turned to the source, her gaze leveling upon the form of the newest member of the council. "Elder Blake, I have told you many times that it is Elder Corbin." she thinned her perfectly shaped cupid bow lips into a hard line as she straightened her posture, the waves of her own Alpha blood oozing from the pores of her body at the blatant disrespect.

"Awww, come on, Mille! We're all comrades here! Besides, it is just an adorable pet name I've picked for you!" The audacity of this pup never ceased to irritate the shit out of her. He had been bestowed a seat upon the Elder Council at the age of 650 summers, and apparently had no sense of self preservation when it came to purposefully harassing the she-wolf. 

Majority of the werewolf population knew she held disdain for any nicknames referring to her age.. the names picked at the old emotional wound she had long since forced to scab over with her acceptance of Fate's choice.

Honestly, she had no idea how his mate put up with him..

Her wolf stirred as the thought circulated through her mind, the m-word somewhat of a taboo between the two of them.

It had been exactly a thousand years. A thousand, lonely, yearning years..

She mentally scoffed at herself as she placed a halt in the direction her thoughts were beginning to travel. It had been roughly six hundred years ago when she finally accepted that Fate had not intended for her to be blessed with her other half. She would be just fine without that part of her.. scratch that, she is just fine without it.

"It's Elder Corbin." she ground out once again, only this time she did not stick around to argue her proper name as she left the insolent pup to stand alone in the meeting room. She needed to run, and she needed to run now.

Not even ten minutes later she was out the door and running nude towards the entrance to the forest, her robes left and forgotten to the side of the door she had just burst through. The moment the shade of the tree's hit her skin she began to shift, her body heating in the most wonderful of ways as her bones began to snap and rearrange themselves as her magnificent dappled fur burst forth, her wolf breaking free.

She was nothing but a blur of blacks, grays, and white as she sped through the trees. The adrenaline as she cut through the air like a lightning bolt was a high that she would never be able to relinquish. Nature, it was her drug.. it made her feel free, and she wouldn't have it any other way.