fifty eight

+

+

Coming into the kitchen, I stretched my hands high above my head with an early morning yawn. Rubbing my eyes, I padded over to the fridge, my bare feet making small pattering noises as I walked across the wood floor.

Curling my fingers around the handle of the fridge, I tugged it open and bent over, poking my head into the cool air. Pursuing my lips, I scanned the contents of the empty fridge, before taking a step back and preparing to shut the door empty handed. But as I stood up, a bright yellow sticky note stuck to the freezer caught my eye. Grabbing it with my free hand, I spun around and walked to the living room, letting go of the fridge door behind me. It swung closed without any other assistance.

Dropping onto the cushions, I kicked my leg up over the end of the couch and threw my arm over the back, fiddling with the threads in the couch. I turned my attention to the note, actually reading it this time without halfway paying attention.

Mission today, left early this morning.
I should be back in a few days or so.
Actually cook something while I'm gone
and don't only eat takeout.

-kenji

"Isn't that wonderful timing." I blew on my hair, dropping my hand into my lap. Rolling my head back, I let out a low groan, knowing I was going to have to head to the arena to see the final fights by myself. I'd have to meet everyone else there—which was annoying as fuck, since I didn't know even where we were supposed to meet. He was supposed to figure that out with Masumi-san. But it seemed I'd have to head to someone's house early so I wouldn't end up sitting by myself.

Getting up from the couch, I went to my bedroom and grabbed some clothes, before heading to the bathroom and getting in the shower.

Today was one of the last days of the chunin exams. The final genin were to fight in a large arena, just as we had in Konoha. Everyone would be watching them fight against other shinobi for the title of chunin. It was weird to think that around two... two and a half years ago was it? Somewhere around there, I had been in an arena like them, fighting my own match. Now here I was, having been border patrol for and security for the chunin exams, as a chunin.

Time really went fast. Katsu was a medical shinobi. He worked in the hospital, had refined his kenjutsu some more, and apparently... wrote poetry. Ryuu worked in the intelligence agency, more specifically when it came to tracking, and sensory. We had all grown a lot. We'd come a long, long way from where we were. Things were good right now. I was happy.

Rinsing the last of the suds from my hair, and as I had already washed my body, I hoped out of the shower and dried myself off, before changing into my clothes.