Prologue.

Han Ki-Joo

"So annoying. Why are you crying? You deserved it, after all." I grunt as she kicks my legs leaving me unable to defend myself. Who would have thought we used to be such close friends? "You're the one who betrayed me. I was your only friend!" I gulp. Even if I could fight back, I wouldn't. Sol-Ah is right. I deserve it all. "Sol-Ah... Stop it. We're going to get into trouble." Her minion tugs on her jumper and Sol-Ah steps back taking a long sigh. "God, I wanted to have more fun with her. Friend, wait for me outside school okay?" 

I wait for them to leave before sitting up. I'm finished. I look down at my ankle and it's purple. I sprained it... With my last strength I use the box beside me to help myself up. I compose myself before I leave the janitor's office. I wonder what excuse I should use in class. I take out my shattered phone and see that I'm half an hour late into class. 

As I enter the class, everyone around me whispers presumably about me. "What was she doing inside the janitor's office? Whatever." One girl says and the other has an worried expression on her face. "She must be hurt... look at her ankle... I... should.. No, I can't. I can't do anything." I then manage to stumble into Moon-Bin, my childhood friend. "Ki-Joo, what's wrong? Why are you limping?  

I assure him it's okay. What can he do after all? I sit down at my desk and realise there's new additions to the table. Han Ki-Joo the slut. Traitor. I don't want to do this. I look around to make sure no-one's watching and keep scrubbing it to the point the table looks squeaky clean. I managed to get it out from the table, but how do I get it out of my heart?"

 "Good morning guys! Today we're going to plan our school festival. Does anyone have any ideas?" A few people have their hands up but when Sol-Ah shoots her arms up everyone puts theirs down. "We should do a horror house! and... Ki-Joo should be the main horror. She would be very good at it." I can hear everyone snicker. 

"Wow... A good idea from our vice class president. Ki-Joo, are you going to take up the offer?" I take a moment before shaking my head. "I'm sorry. I have a trial that day." Sol-Ah whines and twists her head around smiling at me which makes it more sinister. "Ki-Joo, you have to do something for your class. You don't do any clubs or activities. What are you good for?" Good for? 

In the end, I was forced to take the opportunity. "I'm sorry auntie. We have to postpone the run. I'm sorry. I practiced a lot for it." I sigh and look at my shoes. Auntie bought me new trainers just for this. "Ki-Joo, it's okay. But can I ask? You were so excited for it? What happened?" 

I look down at my hands, unable to answer. 

***

The day has finally arrived. I look over at Sol-Ah's posse and wonder what they have planned. How much more are they going to humiliate me? "Ki-Joo. Earth to Ki-Joo. Can you go and bring paint from teacher's office? If you have something to do, it's okay." I shake my head and say that I'll go get it. "Teacher, we need another can of paint." I rush back to the classroom handing it over to the class president. 

"Ki-Joo, come and sit down!" Sol-Ah squeals and I can't help but feel very uneasy. I can't even shake my head and say no. "God, look at your hair. When are you going to get a haircut?" Sol-Ah taunts me as she brushes it aggressively. I bite my teeth in order not to groan in pain. "I should go and get changed." I mutter as I pick up the costume teacher bought for me. I'm grateful that he bought for me knowing my situation.  As I begin getting changed I hear girls whisper and giggle. i put it past me and continue getting changed. 

Wow... There was a lot of effort put into this and it looks great. "It looks good, doesn't it?" Sol-Ah hands it over to me. "Don't forget to put the mask on when they come. Okay?" Sol-Ah grins.