The Failure

Medusa slowly stepped through the doorway to Jestar's temple.
The place had a nasty aura to it, despite everything sparkling in the harsh moonlight.

Sitting down, he awaited the dreaded call to Jestar's throne room. While he waited, he looked around at the countless claw marks on the walls, the geometric hearts engraved into the quartz pillars, and the night sky through a small, high up window.

"Assassin #12, please come to the throne room."

There it was. The robotic voice of the Core. Medusa hated it.

Every footstep echoed through the long, empty marble hall. The further he walked, the darker the halls got. Eventually they were only lit by the soft, yellow-orange glow of torches.

As Medusa approached, the large double doors to the throne room swung open. A harsh white light shone through them.

Wiping his boots on the mat provided, he stepped in. A red carpet trailed to the throne, which was required to be kept clean.

Perched on the throne was Jestar himself. He sat rather lazily, with one hand resting on his cheek, and one leg crossed over the other.
A black crown was sat atop his head, with a small, white square in one of the holes cut out. That was Hal's soul. The reason Medusa even exists.

"Failed another mission, I see". His nasally, almost comical voice pierced through Medusa's head. It was awful to listen to.

"Yes, sir", Medusa sighed as he hung his head in shame.

"At least you own up to it". Jestar turned his gaze to his prized assassin. "Also, I've heard you've been infiltrating the other's missions. Is that correct?"

"Yes, sir. I merely wanted to fulfill my purpose"

"You're a failure. I created you with one purpose, to kill that nanobot. And you failed. You failed at what should have been the most simple task for you. You're as powerful as a god, and you STILL can't kill a small, helpless square."

"S-sir-"

"ENOUGH! YOU'RE A DISGRACE! YOU'RE EVEN MORE PATHETIC THAN AURA AND NAUTILUS!"

"B-but-"

"I SAID ENOUGH! YOU ARE TO LEAVE THIS PLACE AND NEVER RETURN! DO YOU HEAR ME?!"

"Yes, sir."

Jestar's voice was enough to give Medusa a headache.
The green square walked out, clutching his head while trying to fight back tears.

He was a failure.

One of Jestar's guards poked a spear to his back, forcing him to move faster.
Medusa's walk turned into a sprint as he failed to hold back a flood of tears.
As soon as he got outside, he broke down.

He started thinking about everything that he'd done.
All of it was wrong.
He felt like even more of a failure, knowing he could've stopped this mess.
He's hurt so many shapes in all sorts of ways.
It hurt even thinking about it.

His mind got to the petrification of the other assassins.
He could save them.

Medusa stood up, wiping his tears away. He ran off to where he knew he's find their statues.