𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄

CHAPTER TWELVE | DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THEY ARRIVED BACK AT THE BEACH IN ORDER TO GAIN CELL SERVICE. Klara, Stefan, and Rebekah sat on one of the rocks that overlooked the sea in front of her while Elena wandered up and down the seafront on the phone to Caroline.  Klara missed Caroline; she knew that if the Forbes vampire were with them, none of this would be happening. Caroline was far too prepared to let anyone go missing.

"He'll never give up the sword," Rebekah spoke in reference to her brother who was in fact trapped in Elena's living room due to a boundary spell set by Bonnie. 

"If any of us were able to get Klaus to do something, I'd place my money on Caroline." Klara glanced at Rebekah with a small chuckle.

"He will never give up the sword, not even for Caroline." Rebekah looked between Stefan and Klara as they sat beside her. "He's terrified we'll use the cure against him to make him mortal, and even if he wasn't, he wouldn't want any of us to derive a moment's worth of happiness from being human."

"Well, maybe he doesn't have to give it up." A look fell across Stefan's face and it was a look that Klara knew all too well. "I mean, Klaus is stuck in Elena's house by Bonnie's spell. He can't go anywhere. There are only so many places you can hide a three-foot piece of metal."

"Thank you, Caroline." Elena thankfully breathed out once she ended the call as Klara walked beside her. "Caroline's gonna send us the information as soon as she gets the sword."

"So, I figured you and I could have a chat about what happened the other night." Klara awkwardly spoke as she and Elena walked slowly down the seafront. Stefan and Rebekah were left by the rocks, but she wanted clear the air with Elena herself. "I'm sorry if I made you feel like we were trying to keep you and Damon apart."

"No, it's okay. I know you were trying to look out for me. I should be the one that's sorry, Klara, I was awful to you." The doppelganger gave an apologetic glance toward her friend. "I should've never even laid a hand on you. That was wrong. I'm sorry, too."

"Well, I'm glad we sorted that out." Klara exhaled a sigh of relief. Since she and Elena had the disagreement the night Kol compelled Damon to kill Jeremy, she felt awkward around Elena. "The sooner we get the cure and go home, the better."

Elena and Stefan walked over to Stefan as soon as Rebekah wandered over. She slid her phone into her pocket with a sheepish look on her face. "Caroline sent me pictures of the map. We're ready to go."

Klara extended her hand toward her boyfriend, who took it and used it to pull himself from the rock. Stefan gently kissed her forehead before the two followed after Elena and Rebekah. "It's gonna be weird seeing you human." Klara looked toward Stefan.