The Reaping

I wake up with mixed emotions of nervousness, excitement, anger and sadness.

It's reaping day.

I get up, silently, as to not wake my mother and sister, Daze. It's her last year safe from the reaping, and my sixth year in. I walk across my room to my chest. Since we live in District 7, a middle class district, we're fairly well off. I dress in my reaping dress, simple for Capital folk but beautiful for me. It's a forest green, which I guess reflects my district. Lumber. I braid my hair and walk outside, taking in the fresh, crisp air and big green trees. The last time I'll see them unless I win, I think.

This year, I'm volunteering.

I'm ready, I know I am. I've been training myself since I was 7. 7! I know I can make it.

I have to.

*

Later, I am in my appropriate age section, 17's. Daze is with my mother and the rest of the crowd who aren't eligible, watching. The mayor comes up, shows us a video- all the way from the Capital!- and tells us about The Dark Days and District 13. The district that was obliterated. Johanna Mason and Blight come up, because they're district 7's last victors. Johanna's devilish with some axes. I'm good, too. She'll mentor me when I volunteer, and Blight will mentor whoever the boy is. Then it's time for the reaping. My name is in that bowl 28 times, 7 for protocol, 21 for tesserae. That's a years worth of oil and grain every year for everyone in my family, including me. I lost my father several years ago, when someone's axe flew out of their hands during a swing and struck him in the head. Our escort, Velet Crow, walks to the girls bowl in her ridiculously high heels. She clears her throat, swirls her hand around in the bowl, and draws out a name.

"Maple Geelong!" I see her, a scrawny 13 year old, snivelling, walking up to the stage. Many girls are now relaxing, now knowing they're off the hook. I can see the girls in the 18 year old sector, happy that they will never have the trial of the reaping again.

This is it. My time. I thrust my hand up in the air, and shout.

"I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute!!!!" Some people gasp, some raise their eyebrows, many just take it in their stride. I can tell Maple's family, sobbing, and peacekeepers are grabbing me, pulling me up. I can see Daze and my mother, crying. Johanna smiles at me, sizing me up. I stand a little taller.

"Excellent! Now dear, what's your name?" Velet asks. It's sickening, how she think the Games are fun and when someone volunteers- especially in a non career district- it's even better.

"Indigo Minta." I say confidently. Velet calls up a boy. "Fern Mond!" I look at him, a 14 year old, and sigh. Sorry, but if I want to win, he isn't on my ally list. The peacekeepers take us Into the Justice Building. We say goodbye to our families.

"You have to win!" Daze tells me.

I promise her I will.

*