How it all began

It was a normal school day at Morris high school and I was about to walk home when I heard someone shouting my name.

"Xavier!" I to turned around and see my friend Dakota running up to me. She was out of breath so I couldn't understand what she was trying to say.

After catching her breath a little, she started to talk inhumanly fast but miraculously I still understood her.

"I heard a rumor that our school is haunted!" she gasped out, I replied with an eye roll, she is a firm believer in ghosts, spirits, and the like.
I can confirm that our school isn't haunted because I can see ghosts, I have since I was a kid, my parents didn't believe me though so I gave up on telling anyone about it including her, though I suppose she might believe me given her belief in ghosts but i'm not about to take any chances.

"The school isn't haunted, I can tell you this for a fact," I said, wearing a somewhat annoyed expression.

"No it's true this time." She said, pouting slightly. "I overheard Monica talking about how last night, after staying after school for a little, she heard this awful noise, she couldn't even describe how horrifying it was." She looked at me with a hint of mischief in her hazel eyes. "You will come with me to school tonight, right?" She asked, a pleading look on her freckled face.

I looked at her, rolling my eyes. "Fine I will go." I said with a hint of annoyance in my voice, she knows that I have trouble saying no to anyone.
She looked like she could burst with excitement. "Meet me here at seven and don't be late." She winked and ran off towards her house.

After dinner I told my parents that I was going to a friends house. I was told to be back by ten, my curfew. I went downstairs to my room grabbing a flashlight, my grey and red hoodie and my now fully charged phone and stuffed it in my hoodie pocket, but before I could leave, my nosy little brother, William saw me with my flashlight.

"Are you really going to a friends house?" He asked, knowing that I was lying.
"Of course I am, have I ever been known to lie?" I asked, trying and failing to fake innocence, I've always been bad at lying.
"I don't believe you." He promptly stated. "Bring home a chocolate bar and mom and dad won't find out." He said, knowing that I needed to leave soon.

"Okay, I will but if you tell mom and dad I will tell them about you blackmailing me." I said, knowing that the both of us would get in trouble for this.

"Fine." he agreed. "Let's shake on it." He said grinning while holding out his hand, probably thinking about the chocolate, we shook hands just before I left.

I arrived at the school after going to a nearby store and getting the chocolate I promised my brother and as usual i'm the first to be there even after my errand. After five minutes of waiting in the rain Dakota finally arrived wearing a navy blue rain jacket making me wish I wore my rain jacket too.

"Late again I see." I said in a joking manner, she of course pouted at this. "We should go inside before we catch a cold." I said starting to head towards a door, deciding to try it even though it's probably locked, but much to my surprise it opened.

"Dakota!" I shouted to get her attention. "Over here." She walked over, just as surprised as I was to see that it was unlocked, we entered only to see that it was pitch black, making me happy that I brought my flashlight. Luckily she brought hers too.