part thirty

riley never went over to the hot tub as kiara and pope consoled jj; it didn't feel right to her to do so

after some time jj had calmed down slightly and kiara left the two boys to get water from inside the house. on her way in kiara shot riley a look that read, you should leave now.

riley took one last look at jj before turning around hesitantly and walking slowly back to her car. she wasn't followed by silence, however. instead, the sound of quick footsteps approached from behind her.

"hey!" pope called for her and she turned around to see him jogging up to her.

"uh hi."

"he wants you to stay," pope said.

"what?"

"jj," pope clarified. "he wants you to stay."

"why would he-"

"can you just uh..." pope faltered, "can you talk to him? i mean only if you want to. i'll go inside and keep kiara in there."

"i'm sure he'd rather just talk to you guys tonight," riley quietly replied.

"just go," pope sighed. not giving her much of an option, he left her and went into the house.

riley silently and slowly followed the same path she had taken to leave and stopped just a few feet from the hot tub. jj was sitting it's side with his feet in the water with his head facing down. he hadn't noticed riley as she walked closer towards him. not until the girl had climbed up and placed a foot in the tub, did jj look up to see her.

he watched her as she stepped her other foot into the water and moved herself closer so she could sit down on the edge beside him.

"hi," she said softly.

"hi," he replied, his voice sounding rough and unlike himself. only silence came after their weak greetings, nothing awkward about it but nothing comforting either.

riley didn't know what to say or do. they weren't together. she didn't even know if they were even considered friends at that point. she wanted to comfort him but she didn't want to overstep.

"riley?" jj whispered, snapping riley's attention up from the water and over to the boy. he kept his head down but riley still focused on the side of his face, observing his tear stained cheeks and red eyes.

"yeah?" she replied.

"re-remember that time... uh... that you had a panic attack," he asked.

was he serious? riley thought to herself. he really wanted to bring that up of all things?

"how'd you make it stop?" jj asked, his voice so quiet, it was breaking. he raised his head up and looked over to the girl hesitantly, his eyes welling with tears.

"j," riley whispered as her eyes connected with his. she quickly wrapped her arms around his shoulders and pulled him against her body.

"i don't know how to stop feeling like this," he croaked out, his head pressed into her shoulder.

silent tears fell down riley's face but they went unnoticed by jj, which she was thankful for. she pressed her cheek against the top of his head and rubbed her hand over his back.

"it gets easier," she spoke softly asked his hair. "you won't feel like this forever. i promise. it gets better."

the pair stayed in each other's arms until the water went cold and the only warmth either of them were receiving was from each other.

"do you want to go inside?" riley asked quietly. jj nodded his head underneath her chin and they finally peeled away from one another.

after stepping out of the tiny, riley trailed behind the blonde as the two walked toward the house.

just as jj put his hand on the door handle he let it fall to his side. riley watched in confusion as he stood their motionless; and just as she was about to say something he turned around to face her.

"will you stay?" he asked.

"what?" riley replied.

"will you stay here tonight?" jj repeated.

"like in your-"

"i- i know that it's wrong to ask you that because of... the way things are. and i know that you hate me but-"

"hey," riley interrupted him, "i don't hate you... remember?" she couldn't help but to let the corners of her mouth turn upward and jj's did too; the first smile she had seen of his in a while. "i'll stay."

"okay."