Chapter 1 : The Call

"Okay, class, the essay is on Monday so make sure you do it this weekend alright"?

"Yes Miss Bustier," the class chorused. "Good then," Ms.Bustier smiled. Suddenly, the bell rang meaning school is over. "Alright, bye everyone. Enjoy your weekend!"

"Thank you, miss!"

  I got up and stretched. I was unusually tired that day and with Nathanael nudging me every time I want to doze off for even a second to get some rest, I couldn't wait to get home. I waited for Nathanael at the door and when he finally appeared, I asked, "What took you so long?" He just smiled and said, "Sorry,toilet break."

I rolled my eyes and took his hand. "Come on, I wanna go home now." He laughed and we both walked home. When we were about to part, he kissed me on the cheek and said, " Tonight, 6pm, Andre's Ice Cream," then walked away to his house. I giggled and rolled my eyes again.

When I arrived home, I sighed. It has been a few months since the latest attack with my ex-best friend, Laura and now it's the new year. Surprisingly, there have been no more akuma attacks since then. I guess Hawk Moth must have decided to lay low.

For only a while.

Phixx came out of my bag and said, "Um, Cherice?" "Yeah?" I turned to her. She had this regretful face on. I was full of questions but I just decided to let her say what she wanted to say.

Suddenly, my phone rang, interrupting what Phixx had to say. Surprisingly, it was my mother. 'Huh, I wonder what's wrong,' I thought. Usually she'd be working her head off at this hour.

"Hello.. mother?" I sounded so unprepared and awkward. But I was definitely unprepared to hear what she has to say next.

"Cherice! Y-your father, h-he...he's gone!"

Suddenly, the whole world felt like it started losing its colours.I start to feel dizzy and I feel my insides turn to ice. I clenched my phone.

"G-gone?What..what do you mean gone?"

She didn't answer.

"Mother, answer me!"
"There was an attack on our way to your apartment, we were going t-to surprise you, but then some evil guy took your dad!"

I hear sirens and a lot of police cars pass us. There was an ambulance too. But somehow the sounds started to go away, I couldn't hear any sirens anymore.

"Y-your dad.. they..they took him!"

I black out.

Well, I did black out, but after a minute or something I could hear again and I was half-unconscious. I could hear Phixx shouting my name. I could feel it slapping my shoulders with its hands. Slowly, very slowly, I opened my eyes.

"Oh, god, Cherice! You're okay!"
"P-Phixx, I have to go to the airport now!"

Phixx nodded, but then I remembered that I have no transportation. I need to get to the airport as soon as possible. My mother must have hung up so I quickly dialed Nathanael's number.
.
.
.
"I don't have time to explain, I need your bike!"

Nathanael asks me a lot of questions, but I guess when he probably have figured that I really needed his bike. He finally agreed and I ran to his house. He lived in an apartment no very far away. When I arrived, he showed me where his bike was without asking any question at all. I got on it, mouthed a 'thank you' and immediately cycled around Paris, searching for the crime scene.

  When I got there, there were many police cars. The area is now filled with lights from the police siren-thingy above their car. I ignored many policemen who tried to warn me to not get any closer to the scene.

  I saw my mother and immediately ran to her. There was a bandage wrapped around her right arm. She hugged me and sobbed hysterically. "Mother...mother !" I call out. "Look at me!"  Her eyes slowly meet mine.

"What happened, mother ?" Her lip was trembling when she said, " They aimed at us, but I missed the bullet but..he didn't and..." she trailed off.

I shake her shoulders. "And what? What?!" She sobbed louder and cried, "He's gone now.They ran away after shooting your father. And.. I couldn't feel his h-heartbeat..".

I let go of her shoulders. "No..it can't be. You're lying..."

She stretched out her hand and caressed my cheek. "S-sweetie..dear..I-I wish I was."

"W-where is father's body then?"

She wiped her nose. "The paramedics was distracted by something, they thought it was the killer so they backed away from the body for a bit. When they turned back, the body was gone..".

"Why would anyone want his body? Are they insane or something? And what kind of paramedics would LEAVE the body just like that?" She caressed my cheek again. "I don't know, sweetie." That's when she bursted out crying. "I really don't know, sweetie."

  I hugged her and tears started streaming down my cheeks like a waterfall. I have to accept it..I need to accept it. I have to accept the truth, stay strong for my mother.

I sigh and try to calm myself down. Right now in this situation I can only form one single thought.

My father is dead and his body is nowhere to be found.