chapter one

(15.7.20)

Russian Weapons Facility - 1957

Becky felt a punch across her face but kneed her opponent in the crotch, causing him to topple over in pain.
"You're even stronger than your reputation suggests, Miss Barnes"
Becky heard a voice in the darkness as she desperately tried to free her hands from the ropes they were bound with. The voice spoke again, they had a thick (almost seemingly fake) Russian accent.
"Perhaps a more serious punishment is necessary..."
"Do your worst" Becky spat back.
"You know it would be really, really, really..." the accent began to break, Becky recognised the voice beneath the accent, her best friend and partner, Linda Monroe "...nice if you just told us about the blueprints"
Becky just spat on the floor next to Linda, honestly just to tease her since she knew nothing actually bad would happen since Linda was faking the whole thing.
"Oleg, hit her in the guts" Linda spoke again with her thick fake accent. The henchmen, who she assumed was called Oleg, approached her holding a metal rod, like a pipe or a crowbar.
"Go on then, do it already" Becky teased, as Oleg swung the weapon towards her, she kicked it back at him. Which ended with him toppling over in pain after being struck in the ribs.
"Enough! Enough! How can you be so calm and collected when you're staring death right in the face? Where do you get off?" Linda spat
"Bedroom or maybe the shower, but I don't think we're there just yet. Maybe on our next date I'll let you get to second base" Becky teased, trying not to laugh as she saw Linda go red in shock. Linda quickly composed herself.
"So that's how you want to play this game, huh?"
Linda pulled out a large white feather from her jacket pocket.
"Oh crap" Linda tickles Becky's neck with the feather, causing her to laugh uncontrollably. "Oh my god, stop, stop, okay I'll tell you...I'm working for the American Secret Service" Linda began to tickle her again "Ahahah! Wait! Stop!"
"Not until I get every last bit of information from you"
"We need pictures of the new weapons you've been developing so we- ahahah! How could you possibly know that I'm deathly ticklish behind my neck and ears?"
"Well, personal history does have its benefits, Barnes" Linda pulled out a gun and shot Oleg's knees, causing him to fall to the ground.
"Sorry, I knocked you around quite a bit, Beck" Linda has returned to her normal, slightly posh, American accent.
"Linda! You absolute cow!"
"I can't believe you don't even swear, you could have gone with bitch or bastard or dickhead or even cu-" Linda said as she untied Becky from the chair.
"Don't say that!"
"But you went with cow"
"Why's it matter to you?"
"It doesn't, just a thing I noticed"
"Anyway, I knew it was you all along, the accent could use some work though"
"Oh fuck off, it fooled twenty Russian security officers, and that idiot Oleg"
"Well, Oleg I hope you at least had some fun today" Becky said
"Whats going on?" Oleg asked
"Well you've just been used for sport by two of the world greatest spies" Linda replied
"And we're about to escape here with the blueprints that I've stolen" Becky added
"Probably killing countless people along the way"
"And although we've destroyed your kneecaps"
"You'll probably be one of the few that survive" and with that Linda knocked him out by striking his head with her gun. Becky and Linda sprinted to near the exit of the safehouse. Linda was getting an incoming call from her watch, she picked up immediately.
"Monroe! Where the hell are you?" It was their boss, John Macnamara "You need to get me those nuclear weapon blueprints immediately"
"Consider it done, John. We'll get you those blueprints right away" Becky butted in.
"Is that Becky? I forgot you were on this mission, thank god you are" John continued.
"We gotta go, John" with that Linda ended the call
"What? Are you jealous?"
"What? Of course not?" Linda pulled out a small flask and took a drink from it.
"Linda! You can't do that until we're out of here"
"Not until the jobs done!" Linda mocked Becky, she would have offered her some but she knows Becky doesn't drink. Another call came incoming to Linda's watch, Xander, one of the head scientists at the lab.
"Linda! Rebecca! We've all been worried sick" Xander started
"Ooo Rebecca" Linda mouthed to Becky, mocking the use of her full name.
"What did I tell you about turning off your tracker?"
"Everyone deserves a little privacy, Xander" Linda continued
"Okay, but you're not like "everyone" you're property of the united states government"
"Anyway, what's the plan?"
"Just photograph the blueprints with the camera in your watch and they'll broadcast to my location"
"That sounds rather boring, isn't there some cool gadget we could use?"
"Fine...are you wearing the brown shoes I gave you?"
"Yeah sure" as Linda spoke, Becky had gotten so bored she was eating a banana.
"Well, they're equipped with a rocket blaster"
"Yes!"
"Linda, your shoes are black" Becky told Linda, finishing her banana.
"Oh shit, I'm not wearing the shoes, Xander. They didn't match my outfit!"
"Oh for god's sake! It won't be hard to explain how the watch-"
"We've gotta blow it all up!" she shot a glance at Becky who looked completely done with Linda's shenanigans.
"But the watch!" Xander exclaimed
"Just send me your coordinates and we'll meet in half an hour" Linda continued
"Oh god...just be safe, you two"
Then Linda ended the call, Becky had made her way up to next to Linda and leant on a railing. That railing collapsed, Becky nearly fell but Linda caught her, using the spare moment they had to pull Becky closer to her. Becky brushed a stray hair out of Linda's face.
"This is why I love my job" Linda started, Becky just have a confused look "...saving you when you do stupid shit"
"Says you!" Becky laughed "The one who messed up half the plan 'cause the brown shoes "didn't match your outfit""
"That's also why I love my job...taking risks"
"Well then...I'll take a risk" Becky tossed the banana skin onto the ground.
"Oooooh, Rebecca Barnes!" Becky giggled at the use of her full name "How risky! The litter police are coming for you as we speak"
"I know someone else who'll be coming for me" Becky laughed at her remark while Linda just stopped, turned bright red but trying to stay calm.
"Anyway, pass me one of the charges" Becky said, Linda complied by passing one to the other woman.
"What our record"
"Huh?"
"Berlin, last spring. We made it out of there in like six minutes"
"I don't like that look in your eyes"
"Oh you love it" Linda smirked
"Yes, six minutes"
"I think...we could do it in five"
"Linda no-"
"Four?"
"Fine!"
"Three it is" Linda muttered "Whats taking so long?" she said louder.
"If we re-lock the safety barricades we can limit the blast"
"We don't have time for this, Beck!"
"No, Linda, trust me you're going to want to do this"
They went to exit, but armed (what they assumed to be) Russian agents blocked their path. They attempted a different path but were stopped yet again. Suddenly, they were surrounded by the armed guards but still managed to keep calm. But suddenly the building began to shake.
"I set the timer for three minutes! I told you" Linda blurted out as the guards fell to the ground.
"I thought you set it for four!"
"No! Oh, Becky Barnes you're going to be the death of me!" They raced up the stairs.
Then it happened.
Linda slipped on the banana peel that Becky had carelessly tossed on the ground, near the broken railing. She fell to the ground from the platform.
"Linda!" Becky screamed, trying to save her. Not succeeding.

*1342 words*