Change

author's note:

Hi! This is a short scene based on an unknown quote about change. This is the third installment in the One-Chap Scenes books. Discovery of the source of this quote would very much be appreciated.

DISCLAIMER

Change is edited. Nov. 8, 2020.

Happy Reading!

~

"I don't understand how you can smile all day long but," She groggily said, taking a sip of her beer. "...cry yourself to sleep at night." We laughed pointlessly and she continued talking. I thought of a memory where I did exactly that, smile all day, cry at night.

"How, uh, pictures, never change, but the people in them do!" She said with vigor and a tone not matching what she's saying. "How your best friend can become your worst enemy, or how strange it is when your worst enemy, turns into your best friend." She explained. Funny how my best friend, who is across the world at the moment, was my rival at first. But, we saw past our differences and saw so many things in common. 

"Worst enemy!" I roared, adding emphasis like how you would normally say/scare children with the word 'monster'. We laughed and both took a sip on our drinks. I finished mine and took another one.

"O-or how forever turns into a few short months that you'd do almost anything to get back."

"I'm back?" I confusingly said because I didn't hear the rest of it.

"What? Oh, okay, anyways, how you can let go of something you once s-said you couldn't live without." She said as she looked up dramatically while I sat down back next to her. I got her another drink as well and handed it to her. We both expertly opened them and laughed in unison. The music from the party changed into a more upbeat one than the previous song and we both cheered.

"How even though you know something is best for you, it just hurts the same." She fake-cried and I laughed at her theatrics. I raised my beer and she understood it immediately and opened her mouth. She lowered herself and I raised the beer above her mouth and poured it. She drank it all, beer dripping from her mouth. We cracked up as she wiped the beer off herself.

I was only tipsy and she sure is drunk but she can say all these, and sadly, they're true. "And how the people who once wanted to spend every second with you, think a few m-minutes of their time is too much to spare!" I added, tapping my wrist.

"Right?! Oh, oh, oh, and how people make p-promises despite knowing how common it is for promises to be broken." She exclaimed and told me this while small burps came out of her mouth. I beat her with one loud burp and we both made a disgusted face and laughed. 

"How people can erase you from their lives just b-because..." I trailed off, staring at the ground.

"...it's easier than working things out." She finished for me and we looked at each other and burst out laughing. I actually don't even know her. We just met at this party and I guess, just clicked together immediately. It's nice to have a friend here, a place I am unfamiliar of. 

We stood up and fixed ourselves as we placed the empty bottles of beer the on the floor and went back inside where the party was raging on. We bumped into people as we headed to the dance floor. She and I danced freely, not caring about anything in the world at that moment.

"Woohoo!"

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

-F E N A K R AH-