Chapter Sixty-eight

The forest was riddled with sour colors. Black bark, orange grass, a gloomy, gray sky. The silence in the air made the demented forest uneasy and bone-chilling. Wolfspirit inhaled carefully but his lungs stung. He couldn't focus, his vision growing blurry whenever he tried to breathe. The tom felt his body tip sideways but his paws remained rooted. The orange grass was dry and prickly. Nearby, blood-red rocks jabbed out from the parched earth. The trees were leafless and sharp like claws. Wolfspirit closed his eyes, his mind spiraling rapidly. This is just a dream! He forced that statement into his head. He wanted to shout it to the gray sky but his throat was closed off. 

Wolfspirit opened his eyes only to realize how off his world was, now. Everything shifted to the far left and when he stepped, he felt lopsided. The tom was puzzled and blinked several times. Was this a part of my dream? Or... He nearly gasped when he remembered that his left eye was hindered. Wolfspirit couldn't believe that his eye was taken away; the tom missed seeing out of both. For a split second, he wondered if he could ever be the same that he was before... He lifted his head to observe his surroundings. The strange forest made his fur stand on end but he slowly recognized where he stood.

He turned around and his heart skipped a beat. A great, tall, red rock shot out, pointing to the gray skies. A shadowy fox den located below. Wolfspirit was standing in the small clearing, with orange shrubs planted in tall mounds. The trees lined the clearing, with many rocks scattered amongst them. Wolfspirit's body grew cold and he struggled to breathe, each deep inhale causing his body to shake. His stomach churned and his lungs cried for air. The tom blinked several times to regain some of his sanity. It can't be..! I'm back here! Where the foxes were at. 

Oh StarClan... the FOXES! Wolfspirit froze when he heard that menacing growl behind him. The black tom turned his head slowly then forced his shaking body to run. No! Not again! You won't get me! He cried, desperate to get far. When he turned his head, he saw the foxes that he fought that fateful day waiting for him. But they weren't normal foxes; all four heads were merged unto one body. The fur was charred-black, its blood-stained teeth bared, and its yellow eyes tore through Wolfspirit's sanity. This "fox" appeared more as a spirit than a creature. It began to chase after him, each step causing the earth to shake. Above, bright purple clouds swirled mysteriously. The four heads called out to him, making Wolfspirit's body freeze and his eye widen.

"Let's take his other eye!"

"We'll tear him apart like the others!"

"I'll rip out your guts and envelope them around my neck!"

"You can't run forever, you lame cat!"

Wolfspirit pushed himself to run but each step, fatigue weighed him down. After three seconds, the same leg that was afflicted gave out on him and he fell forward. "No! Leave me alone!" He begged, dragging himself to the tree line, his claws digging into the earth. The tree line was his sanctuary but he never got that far.

~

The black tom forced his eyes to open-- well, his one eye. Wolfspirit's paw pads were sweaty and his lungs screamed for air. It was just a nightmare! He told himself to calm down. Just then, he noticed Blizzardtail sitting beside him, watching him. Wolfspirit's ears flattened against his head, How long has he been watching me for? The young warrior wondered before his eyes lowered to his paws. Embarassment flushed his body and Wolfspirit's tail curled around his hind legs. 

I know that warriors have nightmares... but it seems that I have trouble with it the most. I'm not sure if Blizzardtail experiences them, too. I'm embarrass to admit that I wish I was with Swiftblossom. Wolfspirit questioned his masculinity before exhaling steadily. "Good morning, father." he greeted casually, his ears perking back up.