sixty

+

+

Pacing back and forth in my room, I stared at the packed bag on my bed. It was filled with what I would consider to be essentials. Clothes, my baby blanket, the tanto my father had given me... I was ready to go, really. Letters were set on the nightstand, each in their own envelope and addressed to a different person. My ducks were in a row.

The question was now, was I to speak to the Raikage and tell him I was leaving, or to just... do it? The Raikage was an odd man. If I told him I was after the person who killed my father, a highly looked upon member of the village, and while I was at it, I was going to learn to use my Ketsuryugan... could I manipulate the situation in my favor?

There wasn't anyway to know from thinking it over in the silence of my room. So, that's what I did. I wasn't expecting to be let out of the village with free reign without good reason. But I had a plan. It would work. It had to work.

Appearing in front of the Raikages office, I knocked on the door. Momentarily, I was brought back to how I had stood here just a couple days prior. Stood here unknowing with my sensei beside me, about to learn news that would undeniably break my heart.

After hearing a gruff come in, I stepped inside, seeing no one else in the room besides the Raikage. It was a rare sight to see, but i was lucky to get the attention from the man I needed without having to jump through hoops.

He looked up from his desk, where he had been reading some sort of document. He was surprised at the sight of me, one platinum blonde eyebrow rising. He didn't say anything, staring at me, trying to gather his thoughts. It seemed he wouldn't be the first one to speak as a few more minutes dragged on. So I took initiative.

"I want to ask you a favor. Or... give a proposition, I suppose."

At the unexpected direction of conversation, his interest was peaked. He set the pen down on top of his desk and leaned back, folding his hands over his chest. "What may that be?"

"I want to request a leave of absence from the village."

The Raikage stared at me with a flat expression. I stared back, unwavering, hoping to get the point across that I wasn't joking. In fact, I hadn't been in the playful mood since I learnt of my fathers death. Once he realized I wasn't making a jab, or playing a prank on him in anyway, he scoffed, shaking his head.

"You do realize how ridiculous that request is, don't you? That doesn't get handed out without a good reason. Getting revenge, which I'm assuming is your reason, isn't good enough for you to get a leave of absence from the village."

"Not just that."

He raised a brow, amused, and seemingly interested in whatever else I had to say. "Oh?"