♡ one ♡

^^ i can't get this damn song out of my head. i've probably listened to it at least 100 times in a row now. anyways, enjoy the story :)

max's point of view

"max? are you okay?" i look up at neil who has been calling my name for god knows how long. "i'm fine." i reply, taking a small bite of the so called food that sits in front of me.

you ever have that feeling where you feel like something just happened and something is horribly wrong? that's the feeling i'm having right now and i can't seem to get it off my chest.

something feels just.... off.

"you gonna eat that?" nikki asks, pointing to my food. i roll my eyes and shove my tray over to nikki who devours it in a split second.

"alrighty campers! last week of camp, which means tons of fun activities have been planned!" david announces, his normal smile plastered across his pale face.

"today we will be going to the lake to swim! then afterwards we'll be going on a small hike!" he says, gaining a small cheer from almost everyone in the mess hall. personally, i've never owned swim trunks and don't know how to swim.

david was about to say something else before gwen walked over to him and whispered something in his ear, which made his smile drop.

gwen also looked upset which is normal for her, but david? that's something you don't see every day. gwen and david share a sigh before gwen walks away.

all the campers went back to their own business while david started to walk away. he approaches our table and stops right in front of us, a frown still spread across his face.

"uh max, i need to speak with you." david says, sadness easily hinted in his voice. "um, alright." i reply. he motions me to go with him and neil, nikki, and i exchange looks of confusion.

he leads me out of the mess hall and to the counselor's cabin. "am i in trouble?" i ask confused as he points for me to sit on gwen's bed while he sits on his own which is right next to gwen's.

"listen, max. this is probably the hardest thing i've ever had to tell anyone.." he starts, a sigh following. i brace myself for the words that are about to come out of his mouth.

"gwen and i just got word that your parents got into an accident and both passed." david looks down and i just sit there shocked.

neither of my parents were very caring. my father would abuse me. my mother would try her best to stay out of it all and when my father wasn't beating me, she'd care for me to make herself feel good.

although they were complete assholes, i still felt tears come to my eyes and my arms pull my legs into my chest. i watch david get up and come over to me and wraps me into a hug.

usually i would object, but at this moment i could care less. "it's alright buddy, let it all out." david says, patting my back to try to calm me down.

i was balling, i'll admit it. an ugly cry, too. the last time i cried this hard was when my father broke my wrist. "w-where am i gonna go?" i ask, stuttering.

"i don't know, bud. do you still want to go swimming? or you can sit in here with me or gwen?" david suggests and i shake my head.

"i don't own any swim trunks. but, i'll go to the lake and sit and watch. i'll be fine." i say calming myself down and wiping the tears from my face onto my sleeve.