<chapter one>

I hope u guys like this first chapter! Took me a few days but I got it done! Tell me if I should keep this book going or not.

Today was another first. Another first day without her parents. It was Sophie Foster's first day of sophomore year at a new high school without her family. As Sophie stood looking in the mirror she pulled out an eyelash and blew it away. A nervous habit that many people told her to quit, including Amy- her little sister. Who was dead.
Sophie shook her head trying to get rid of all negative thoughts. It was going to be a good day and she was going to make sure of it. She planned on making new friends, getting good grades, and maybe joining a school club.
When she looked in the mirror Sophie saw so many things wrong with her. She hated her shirt, shoes, skirt that her foster mom had forced her to wear, and her stupid hair. Why did she have to wear it down? Her foster mom, Edaline, was the girliest girl out there. Yesterday they had gone shopping together, and let's just say Sophie didn't need to worry about repeating outfits. Although she probably would because she hated half of her closet.
Sophie was fortunate enough to be fostered by a younger married couple who certainly didn't have money problems. Things were still a little awkward, her foster parents just didn't know how to act around Sophie.
She heard a soft knock at her door and turned to see who it was. "Come in." Sophie called. In came her foster mother, Edaline. She was holding a tray with pancakes and orange juice.
"Excited for your first day?" Edaline asked. Sophie sighed and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. Excited was the last word she'd use. Sure, maybe a few minutes ago she would, but now that the reality of actually accomplishing all of those things was setting in, she decided crawling back into bed was her best option.
Sophie gave Edaline a forced smile and nodded. Edaline places the tray full with her breakfast on Sophie's night stand and smiled at her. "Your tour guide is waiting downstairs whenever you're ready." She quietly left the room and closed the door behind her.
Sophie groaned as the door shut and she flopped down onto her bed. Surprisingly Sophie was looking forward to this day, but now she was regretting not having enjoyed the school free days more.
Not bothering to eat anything, Sophie left her tray in her room and gathered her things. She took a deep breath and grabbed her pretty much empty backpack. It was her old pink one from freshman year which she now despised. Sophie exited her room and started to walk down the stairs to the first floor. On her third to last step down she lost her footing, due to her slippery ballet flats that she never wore, and was going to fly flat on her face until a pair of strong arms caught her by the waist and stood her up right.
Sophie wasn't going to lie. She had a mini heart attack. And it wasn't because she fell down the stairs, of course she'd experienced this before. What she hadn't experienced though, was being caught. Sophie was super embarrassed. She assumed Grady, her foster dad, had caught her but when she turned around this boy looked more like a movie star than her disheveled foster dad. "Are you alright?" Asked a deep, crisp accented voice.
"Am i dreaming?" Sophie thought out loud. She immideatly covered her mouth with her hand and cringed. Did she really say that out loud? As the boy laughed, his teeth shone so bright Sophie was blinded. She had to use her other hand to cover her eyes against the bright light. Ugh this is was so embarrassing. Was this really her first impression on this guy?
When his laughter died down, Sophie separated her fingers to peek through and take a better look at the boy. "You know I can see you, right?" He asked. Of course he could, how old was she? This day couldn't get any worse. She internally groaned and dropped her arms down beside her.
As Sophie looked up at him his eyes instantly drew her attention. Wow. She'd never seen anything like them. They were piercing teal, like the color of the sea on a sunny day. And the butterflies in her stomach matched the scene.
Edaline raced over after setting down some yummy creation on the kitchen table. "Oh my goodness! Sophie are you alright?" She found it very hard to tear her eyes away from the tall boy in front of her. "Mhmm." Sophie assured her.
She was still making eye contact with the boy when Edaline returned her items that had fallen when she slipped. Sophie thanked her and pulled on her backpack once again. Edaline started, probably realizing Sophie hadn't met the guest. "Sophie, this is Fitz Vacker. He's a junior at Foxfire and will be giving helping you around the school today."
"Seems like she'll need it." Fitz chuckled looking in Edaline's direction. Edaline smiled at Fitz and then pulled Sophie in for a tight hug. This was one of the many times that her foster mother had embraced her. Sophie was still a little uncomfortable but she lightly squeezed her back.
"Good luck." Edaline smiled after pulling away from the hug. She was secretly sad that Edaline was leaving her with Fitz who made her tense. She took a better look at Fitz and realized he was cuter than she thought. He had dark brown hair, piercing teal eyes, and an athletic build.
"Well Sophie, it's nice to meet you." Fitz flashed his movie star worthy smile and stuck out his hand. She nervously took his hand and gave it a slight shake. Sophie was trying not to make eye contact. First off, if she looked in his eyes again she'd literally faint. Second, she wasn't as confident as she'd thought in her room.
Sophie nodded in agreement and waved goodbye to Edaline and Grady. "Bye." She said. She wasn't really sure if they'd heard her since she'd said it in such a low voice but once Grady responded with a "See ya after school." She knew her foster parents were eavesdropping once Edaline had left her alone with Fitz.
Fitz waved too and opened the door behind him. "Ladies first." He grinned and proceeded after Sophie went through. Once the door was closed Sophie was on her own. Starting now she knew no one and no one knew her. Well except for Fitz. She stole another glance at him and saw him staring right back.
"This is me." He pointed to the black mustang parked in front of her house and Sophie gave him a thumbs up. Ew. Ew. Ew. Why did she do that? And why was she so awkward? Fitz chuckled as he walked up to the car and opened the passenger seats door.
Fitz walked around to the drivers side before stopping and looking at Sophie. "You coming?" He asked with a raised eyebrow. Sophie stared at the car for a few moments longer before heading into the car. She slid in, put her backpack on the floor, and closed the door.
They buckled in simultaneously, hearing a click Sophie put her elbow on the arm rest and gazed out the window.
She knew she wasn't talking much and hoped Fitz didn't mind. He started the engine and hit on the gas. As the car drove by her house she bid it farewell and focused her attention back on Fitz. "Umm...so how long have you been going to Foxfire?" She asked. This would turn into an awkward car ride if they didn't start talking soon.
"Kindergarten, but pretty much half of your grade stared last year so don't worry on what you missed out. Freshmen year sucks anyway." Since Foxfire was K-12 they had certain entry years, such as kindergarten, 3rd grade, 7th and 9th grade. Unfortunately, Sophie wasn't coming in new in any of those years so she would have a hard time fitting in.
"Oh so you're a lifer?" She commented. Lifers were what people were called if they started Foxfire from kindergarten. Sophie would be envious of lifers except for the fact that they'd never be in a new environment forced to make new friends until college, which isn't ideal to learn at that late of an age.
"Yup. So is my younger sister, Biana. She's also a sophomore." Fitz said as took a sharp turn left, "I think you two would get along well." Fitz was the son of Alden, her social worker. She'd heard of him from Alden when she was located to the Lost Cities. Alden Vacker was the sweetest father she'd ever met.
When Sophie's parents died and left her an orphan she was taken to child protective services. There she'd waited in the lobby for a social worker to meet her. In the lobby there was a tv screen of each of the social workers doing an activity with a kid. When Alden popped up he was dressed up with a girl, about her age, with dark chocolate brown hair and bright teal eyes. She looked almost identical to Fitz. Sophie assumed this was the girl Fitz was talking about.
"So, why did you decide to transfer here?" He asked. She was a little confused, had Alden not told Fitz about her parents? Sophie just assumed he would have.
"Um well I don't know if you heard about what happened to my family..." She started, looking down she started messing around with the charm bracelet on her wrist.
"Yeah I did I'm sorry about that." Fitz looked apologetic, but at the same time that question was a little insensitive if he already knew the answer. "I just meant, couldn't you have stayed at your old school? Not that I'm not totally excited about you being here." He assured her.
Oh. Great. Now all she could think about was how sweet and perfectly charming this boy was. She sighed inside and explained that no one in her area was fostering and that it was just easier to move into another school district. "Nice backpack by the way." He chuckled.
Sophie rolled her eyes and smiled. "Shouldn't you be trying to be nice to me?" This cursed backpack was going to completely ruin her social life wasn't it? It wasn't just pink. It was hot pink. With a hello kitty face on the small pouch.
"You're right, I'm sorry." Fitz didn't sound sorry whatsoever. All of a sudden he had pulled up to the front of the school and parked in a reserved spot.
Sophie looked at him with a puzzled look on her face. "What?" He asked.
"Isn't this spot reserved?"
"Read the sign." Fitz pointed to navy blue sign with text written in a small font. Sophie squinted her eyes and did her best to read it. Reserved for the MVP of varsity football. That was one hint to show that Fitz wasn't just a normal kid at this school. When they pulled in she hadn't noticed the group of girls that had crowded near the car. Fitz noticed where she was looking and waved his hand in front of her face.
"Ready? They'll go away once they see I'm with a friend. Who happens to be a girl." Fitz grinned.
"Is that why you signed up for me to shadow you?" Sophie questioned. To be honest she was a little hurt, had he only done this to get out of girls crowding him for a day?
"Of course not, lets go." He brushed off her question and jumped out of the car. Sophie did the same and walked to the sidewalk so she could go in with Fitz. Now that the doors were right in front of her face they seemed much bigger and intimidating, there was no way she could fit in at this preppy school.
Fitz looked back at the mob behind them and grabbed Sophie's hand. She turned as red as a tomato and could feel her face burning off. "Sorry, I hope you don't mind. I swear this won't happen all day." He whispered to her. And she practically skipped into the school with him.