Chapter 1

The rain fell subtle yet stern on the pavement late Friday afternoon, the wind breezed through the trees and knocked at the windows. The light whooshing sound filled the quiet empty house, and I sat, staring out my bedroom window waiting for the sudden drizzle to seize. The outbursts of rain never seemed to pick up in the summer, but it's expected in Pensacola Florida, the state and city where I was born and raised. I've only been out of town twice in my life, once to Disneyland and the other to see some extended family in Oregon. Neither time was very fun, "The Happiest Place on Earth" does not live up to its name in the slightest, and in Oregon there is absolutely nothing to do.

I live a pretty boring life, I still live with my parents and my two younger brothers, Luke and Austin. My older sister, Amber, moved in with her boyfriend about three years ago all the way in Australia, she's so lucky. My name is pretty white and boring, Victoria Rose Pyle, why did my mom have to give me the middle name of Rose, everyone has that name. Anyways, the two most exciting things about my life are college, which my second year starts next month at the University of West Florida. I'm majoring in Veterinary Science because animals are my passion, since I still have seven more years of schooling to complete I have a job at the local animal shelter to give me experience for my future career. The second exciting thing in my life is my boyfriend, Brendon Freeman, his beautiful amber eyes, his sharp jawline that could cut through an apple, the way he glides his hand through his dark silky hair, his... A text from my group chat pulled me from my thoughts.

Robert: "Hey my dudes and ladies, who's up for the party tonight at Vivian"s?"

Kara: "Are u seriously going?! I thought we all agreed to meet at V's house and have pizza and beer?"

Me (Victoria): "..."

Nathan: "Yeah man no one wants to be at that lame party."

Robert: "Yall are no fun. Spencer, my man, what about u?"

Spencer: "Wherever Kara goes I go man."

Kara: "Awwww, I love u babe<3"

Spencer: "Not as much as I love u sweet cakes;)"

Nathan: "Really guys, take it somewhere else."

Me: " Lol. Yeah Robert everyone's coming to my house tonight, so u choose between "The Queen Bee" and your best friends."

Kara: "Is Brendon going to be there?"

Me: "Yes of course!! I don't get why u all don't like him, he's a really good guy."

Kara: "Idk V, he just doesn't seem like the right guy for u. Anyways I'll be there around 6 with Spencer. ily"

Spencer: "👍🏻"

Robert: "Same"

Nathan: "I'll head over now so I can help u set up."

I set my phone down on my nightstand and went to the bathroom to fix my makeup. Just a little bit of foundation and some mascara should be enough to cover up my flaws. I pulled my dirty blonde hair into a messy pony and set off to my closet to find something other than sweatpants and a plain white shirt to wear. I filed through some shirts and came across a loose grey shirt that hangs off the shoulders and my favorite high-waisted black shorts. Just as I was about to change the doorbell went off, I rushed out my room and hurried down the stairs to the overly big wood door, as I opened it I realized I didn't have my shirt on, but is was too late as the person on the other side had already started making his way inside.

"Well I see you're not ready yet", he chuckled, showing his beautiful white teeth. For some reason he made me feel a little nervous, but I didn't think anything of it.