Welcome to Reachers

The sign for Reachers Reform School hung over the top of the gravel road between two bluestone pillars, from which the prison like walls were connected.

Earlier in the day when the judge slammed down his gavel and delivered a mandatory sentence of detention, Spencer Thomas made every effort not to flinch or show emotion. It's not that she didn't feel it, because she did. It's more that she wasn't willing to give him, or any one else, the satisfaction of seeing that it got to her. And that pretty much summed up Spencer's approach to life, in fact, 'show no emotion' was her personal mantra.

From that moment the wheels of justice turned quickly as the almost eighteen-year-old was shuffled almost immediately onto the school's bus to commence her sentence. Boarding, she took a seat behind another two youths which the courts had decided also needed reforming and who were already waiting and who avoided all eye contact.

The speed of the day didn't bother her so much since she had no one that she was keen to say goodbye to and the quicker she started her time the quicker it would be over but she still couldn't help but feel a sense of hopelessness like this was going to be the beginning of the end.

Upon passing the sign and entering the gates Spencer exhaled softly promising herself that this time it would be different. Perhaps she was sick of the lifestyle that had seen her in and out of institutions for most of her teenage years or perhaps it was knowing that this was her last chance and that next time she would land herself in adult prison.

The driveway was long, surrounded on both sides by a perfectly manufactured, weed free, lawn.  She was surprised by how green and lush the grass was thinking that on first impression it actually felt more like the welcome expected from a stately home, rather than a jail for teens. Although she knew full well she wasn't a guest here but rather a captive to be held at the courts pleasure.

By the time the school building came into view the sun was setting which cast an ominous shadow over the sheds that sat to the side of the main building. This highlighted the barbed wire fence which she could now clearly see wrapped around the entirety of the main building. Strangely the familiarity of the security controls brought with it a sense of calm. Bars she knew. Fences she knew. Grassy knolls were new and Spencer didn't do new.

The brunette kept her eyes focused on the front window of the bus ignoring the two girls who shared her fate and who were deep in discussion about the reason behind their impending incarceration.  She wondered whether they were actually as annoying as they sounded or if that was their way of dealing with what was coming next.

"Right ladies, this is your stop," the portly bus driver said pulling up right in front of the main entrance where three guards stood waiting. Dressed in full khaki each of them adorned with a black belt from which hung a number of items such as keys, hand cuffs and a leather handled baton.

The two girls, who had since gone quiet, looked at each other nervously.

No sooner had the bus doors opened when the first of the guards stomped up the steps. "Follow me and do it quietly," she barked. "And bring your bags with you."

Spencer and the other two girls stood, their hands cuffed in front of them each carrying their belongings as directed. The bags of two girls were larger having been packed full to the seams, like they were taking a trip. It was this fact alone that told Spencer this was their first time. Spencer knew that a part from a photo or two, a hair tie and few odds and ends everything else in those bags would be considered contraband and confiscated until their release.

The size of their bags made walking down the isle difficult as they struggled to hold them while cuffed. They smashed and banged into the seats on either side of the row throwing them off balance. For Spencer, whose belongings fit entirely in a reusable plastic supermarket bag this was a much simpler, but no less frustrating action, as she was stuck behind them. She considered pushing them out of the way or walking over the top of them but she had promised herself that she was going to try and be good. This time.