One

Geonhak stopped dead in his tracks. He knew that laugh anywhere. Slowly, he turned to look at the boy standing behind the bakery counter, talking animatedly to the customer in front of Geonhak and his laughter rang out again. 

"Hwanwoong," Geonhak let out in a whisper, hardly believing his eyes. The small hand in Geonhak's tugged on his arm.

"Leedo-hyung! Look! It's Hwanwoong-hyung!" the little boy cried out, not realizing Hwanwoong had finished with the customer. 

"Um, hi! Have we met?" Hwanwoong asked, his bright smile only faltering a split second.

"D-do you really not remember?" Geonhak was stunned. He and Seonyul remembered everything. How could he not remember the nearly ten years they had fought to keep Seonyul safe? 

Hwanwoong shook his head. "I'm sorry. I don't. But if you can wait a few minutes, I get off soon and then perhaps you can jog my memory?" He flashed a brilliant smile and Geonhak nodded and placed their order before leading Seonyul over to a quiet table in the corner.

Geonhak didn't understand. First of all, how had he and Seonyul ended up here? In a place and time much different from their own where there was light. And how did Hwanwoong get here? And why did they have their memories, but not Hwanwoong. How many more of them were here? There was only one thing Geonhak could think of that could be the reason behind all of this.

"Seonyul, do you still have that Eclipse pendant that Wizard Myeong gave you?"

"Yes," the boy nodded, his hand reaching up to pat his shirt where the pendant lay beneath.  

"Good." Geonhak took Seonyul's small hands in his and looked him directly in the eyes. "Don't ever take it off, do you understand? If that pendant gets in to the wrong hands, everything we've been fighting for will be for nothing."

Four months earlier, the last thing Geonhak remembered before waking up in a cold, dark room with a raging headache was being in the forest with his brothers after finally killing the last corrupt marquis, who wanted the child to bring darkness to their beloved humans.

They had been fighting for ten years, trying to keep the corrupt servants from taking Seonyul, the child prophesied to bring light back to their world. They had finally killed the last marquis and Geonhak thought it was all over, and then the next thing he knew, he woke up in a dark, dusty building wearing strange clothes with Seonyul next to him. The strangest thing, however, was not the clothes he woke up in, but the sunlight filtering through the boarded up windows. Actual sunlight! He hadn't seen the sun in over 10 years, since the sun god plunged their world into eternal darkness to punish the brothers. 

Biologically, they weren't brothers, but the six had grown up together so they were closer than friends. 

Youngjo, the eldest, was always hardworking and caring for the younger boys. Seoho always found a way to make them all laugh in the hardest of times. Geonhak seemed intimidating, but he had a soft demeanor at times which surprised everyone who got to know him. Keonhee always brought the fun to the group and Hwanwoong's confidence brought out the confidence in everyone around him. And Dongju, the youngest. Sweet but sassy Dongju who always did his best to take care of his older brothers. Geonhak had a special place in his heart for Dongju. He was the one who softened Geonhak's heart. Dongju was the twin brother of Wizard Dongmyeong and therefore possessed the same abilities as the sorcerer. However, Dongju was never confident in his magical abilities and so was not as strong his twin. 

Geonhak was relieved that he had finally found Hwanwoong; he would worry about his memories later. But out of all the boys, Geonhak was most worried about Dongju being alone in this strange new world. Dongju was an adult and it wasn't like he couldn't take care of himself, but Geonhak had this overwhelming urge to protect Dongju. He always had. And the fact that Geonhak couldn't find him made him anxious.
But maybe it would be easier now that they had found Hwanwoong!

"Here's your order," Hwanwoong sat the drinks in front of Geonhak and took the seat across from him with his own drink. "So how do we know each other?" He gazes back at Geonhak with curious eyes and Leedo took in a deep breath.

"Is there nothing you can remember about me?" he asked and instantly regretted it when he saw sadness cloud Hwanwoong's bright eyes.

"You would think I could remember someone as striking as you, but I'm sorry, I don't."

It might be harder than Geonhak thought to get Woong to remember.

"My name is Kim Geonhak. We've known each other since we were kids, Hwanwoong, and we are closer than brothers."

Hwanwoong furrowed his eyebrows, trying to remember something. "I'm sorry, Geonhak. I really wish I could remember."

"Do you remember anything about, Seonyul?" Geonhak asked, gesturing to the small boy wrapped around his arm, sipping on his drink.

Hwanwoong's expression softened when he looked at the child. "He seems sweet. Although there is something familiar, I just can't remember. I'm sorry." 

Then Seonyul did something that surprised Geonhak: reaching across the table and gently patting the back of Hwanwoong's hand. "Please remember me, Hwanwoong-hyung. I miss you."

Immediately, Hwanwoong's expression changed and he took in a sharp breath, squeezing his eyes shut. Geonhak watched as he sat there for a minute before opening his eyes and gasping for air. 

"Leedo," Hwanwoong breathed Geonhak's nickname, a tear running down his face. 

Geonhak moved to Hwanwoong's side of the table and pulled him in to a tight embrace which Hwanwoong returned warmly. 

"There you are."