Three Minutes

Keefe POV

Three minutes.

Thats all I had left.

Three minutes until my life was over.

Three minutes was all the poison would give me.

It was either me, or Sophie. I would never let Sophie do it. I could never live with it if she had taken the poison instead of me. One person could come out of this, and that one person would be her. 

Suddenly everything else seemed so... small. 

I never thought this was how my life would end.

A mental countdown started in my mind as I dropped to my knees. Already my throat felt swollen, and my eyes heavy. I could hear the strangled sob that came from Sophie, and I clutched at my throat.  I took as deep breath as I could when Sophie ran over, I fell onto my back no longer having the energy to stay on my knees. My head hit the concrete underneath me, but the pain seemed dull in comparison to the pain I could feel radiating off of Sophie.

Two minutes, fifty seconds. 

Sophie held onto me, as if holding on tighter could save me. This would be the last time she would ever hug me. No matter how much I hated it, it was true. Firm determination was the only thing that dented through Sophies feeling of pain. A small part of me was hoping this was all just a bad dream. But I knew it was no dream. 

I could still clearly see my mothers face as I took the poison instead of letting her use it on Sophie. Then she had simply leaped away, unable to see my Legacy be destroyed.

Two minutes, forty-five seconds.

My time was going far to fast. 

I could barely hear Sophies screams, and her begging for me to be alright. Her tears were falling onto my own cheeks and she frantically pulled out her Imparter.

This was for her. If the poison was used on her the Black Swan would fall apart. They could do without me, but they couldn't do without her.

Two minutes, thirty-five seconds. 

I reached my own hand up, pushing her hand down with the importer. I knew it was no use. Elwin didn't have a cure, and three minutes certainly wasn't enough time to find one. 

I was still confused at my mothers simple giving in. She didn't even try to save me, or try to kidnap Sophie.

Two minutes, thirty seconds now.

Panakes petals wouldn't work. My mother had said as much. If panakes petals wouldn't work against this poison, I didn't know what would. I laced my fingers in between hers, desperate to feel these last moments of comfort. Her hand felt warm compared to mine, which felt as cold as death.

My mother hadn't even known it would be me to take it. Perhaps she had planned on Sophies downfall, and this could become a good thing. I had to hope at least something came from my death. 

Two minutes, twenty-seven seconds.

I tightened my grip, trying to push away the mental countdown until my death. It didn't work.

Two minutes, twenty-five seconds. 

Sophie tried again for the importer, ready to call Elwin.

"Foster... no use..." I managed. I had to take several deep breaths after that, my lungs burning more with every burst of air. My eyes stung, and my ears seemed to buzz. 

Sophie's brown eyes were wide, tears tracing little trails down her cheeks. She shook her head.

Two minutes, twenty seconds.