part thirty seven

"for me to tell you i like you," jj stated

riley only blinked at the boy as the words came out of his mouth. she stood completely motionless, unsure of what to say; that's when kiara's voice called out for the two. "y'all ready for a plan?"

they watched as pope started to walk off towards what he was in charge of, sniffling as he did so. riley snapped out of the daze she was in and nodded her head for her sister to go on.

"jj you're getaway driver," kiara stated and the boy practically flew in the direction of the car before she could say another word. "okay... and riley you're with me. we have to find sarah."

kiara followed riley as she led the way toward's sarah's window, the route engrained in her memory from the amount of time's the girls had used it to sneak out.

the twins peaked through the window to see sarah sitting idly on her bed. the movement caught sarah's eye and she was quick to rush to the window.

"riley? kie?" she gasped, a small smile playing on her lips as she sighed in relief. she tried to pull up the window and when it didn't budge the girl's knew there was no hope. riley swallowed harshly as she watched kiara pull the poster from her back pocket and hold it up to the window.

"are you in on it?" kiara asked, her voice shaky as she did so.

"did you think i was?" sarah looked between the two sisters dejectedly, her breath trembled as her's and riley's eyes met. riley shook her head side to side to answer her question and sarah's shoulders visibly relaxed.

"sarah?!" a deep voice boomed from inside the house

"go," she quickly whispered to the twins and they all shot up from their spots by the window and went their separate ways. pope and jj were already sitting in riley's car when the girls reached it. riley didn't say anything when jj remained in the drivers seat and she let him drive off.

the only place the group figured would be safe for them to stay at was the wreck; and so they all piled into the dark restaurant in preparation for a long and uncomfortable night.

"there's uh... i think there might be some pillows and a few blankets in the back," kiara said.

"yeah i think i know where they are," riley replied and started to walk into the kitchen where the storage closet was. she had just pushed past the traffic door and had just put her hand on the handle to open the closet when she felt a presence behind her. "jesus jj," she jumped and quickly turned around.

"hi," he whispered.

"listen j, i can't do this whole hot and cold thing right now," she shook her head. "i- i can barely even get my thoughts straight at the moment and-"

"hey," jj cooed, cupping her face with his hands, "just breathe." riley let out a shaky breath and then another deep one. she hated how comfortable she felt under his touch; the way he could make her feel calm in just seconds. "i just wanted to talk. is that okay?"

"if..." riley trailed off, not knowing exactly what she wanted to say to the boy in the moment. "if you uh..  didn't actually mean what you said back there... we don't have to talk about it. i can just forget it."

"no, no, no," jj shook is head, "that's not why i wanted to talk. i wanted to say that i did mean it. and i..." the boy trailed off an went complete silent, his eyebrows knitting together.

"you..." riley said after jj hadn't continued after a few moments.

"i've gotta be honest. i've never really done this shit before and i just... i don't even know what to say because i barely even understand my own feelings," jj said. "but what i do know is that y-you make me feel safe, and you understand me when no one else does, and you listen... you listen to me when i don't even know what i'm saying.

"i mean, that's what's happening right now," he let out a soft chuckle. "but you're just special riley, and i don't want this to stop."

the grin on riley's face was unbreakable as jj awkwardly and nervously stuttered over his words; and yet the way he said them made all the difference. she felt special because jj didn't break his tough guy act for just anyone; she barely ever sees him get nervous, even when held at gunpoint.

riley gently held jj's jaw as she brought his face closer to her's and she pressed her lips against his. she felt him smile against her mouth before lowering his hand to her hips and pulling her body closer to his.

"riley, where are the blank-" kiara bursted through the traffic door, stopping abruptly when she saw the two pressed against the closet. "oh... shit."

riley and jj jumped away from one another, each afraid of the reaction they were soon to get from kiara.

"you know you could've just told me to get the blankets if you were gonna make out in here," kie said.

"i- what?" riley stuttered. "you're not mad?"

"you shouldn't have to care what i think," kiara said. "it's not my place to tell y'all what you can and can't do. that's the mistake that i made before, and i realized that. i need to be a better sister and a better friend, especially with everything going on right now. so don't worry about me... but please move away from the closet so i can get a pillow before pope before he throws a chair at my head."

"you're serious?" riley said in astonishment.

"jeez kie, never thought i'd see the day when you'd be so mature," jj joked.

"says the most childish person i know," kiara scoffed. "but don't hurt her you big idiot. we're friends now, and i've gotta protect my twin."

"friends?" riley questioned. it was a word she never thought kiara would use to describe the pair.

"well i'd like to think we're friends but i've been a bitch so... i've got a whole lot of making up to you to do," kiara admitted.

"well then i have a whole lot of forgiving to do," riley smiled as she pulled her sister in a hug.

"but hey, if you're planning to have sex tonight," kiara began, "for god's sake please go out to the car. don't do that in our family restaurant."

"ew kiara i-"

"look's like we'll be heading outside then," jj said, cutting the girl off. he seized her arms by wrapping his own around her frame and lifting her off the ground.

"jj!" riley squealed as he carried her to the back door, squirming in his embrace. he only laughed as he kept his strong grip around her. riley let herself relaxed against his chest and smiled at how everything just seemed so perfect in that moment.

"use protection!" they heard kiara shout before the back door closed behind them and they raced to the car.