Caretaker

Saturday, August 3rd, 17:00

It had been a routine for Iwaizumi to visit his mothers home once ever couple of weeks.

He dreaded being in his mothers presence that  Stepping even a foot into her house flooded his brain with memories of unwelcoming misery. yet his father insisted him to check up on her every now and then.

He didn't understand why his father made him do it. She already had a caretaker with her, why did they need to pay her a visit?

"Hajime, can you please just pay your mother a visit" The tall man panted as he rushed to the front door of the house.

"She already has someone taking care of her"

"I don't understand why we have to visit her when we pay someone else to do it for us" He muttered out

A slight moment of silence flooded the room filling up the bitter words he had just said.

"Look, I promise for the next couple of weeks you wont have to go. But I have a really important business trip this week so please just don't argue with me" He stood in front of the door with his suitcase.

"I know what she did was brutal, but understand your mother didn't mean it"

"Its because of that fucking disease that's making her insane.." Iwaizumi mumbled quietly, but not quiet enough to stop his dad from catching the words that came from his mouth.

"Don't talk like that about your mother Hajime. You know she regretted the things she did"

Iwaizumi's father checked the watch on his left hand

"Shit, I have to go"

"I left some money for food in the kitchen counter. If your hungry just buy some take out while I'm out"

Iwaizumis father kissed the young boys forehead, giving him a head pat before quickly leaving the house.

Sunday, August 4, 09:00

As much as Iwaizumi didn't want to visit his mothers place, he somehow managed to wake up, and fix himself up before arriving at the front porch of his mothers home.

I'll just be here for an hour and I'm done

He let out a sigh knowing this is about to be the most useless hour he was ever going to spend.

Beep Beep Boop It played its usual annoying tone that reminded him of every dreary past visit to this place.

A minute passed.

Nothing.

I already wasted my time by being here. Now I have to wait for someone to open this damn door!

Beep Beep Boop Impatient, and slightly annoyed, Iwaizumi rung the bell another time.

A young man about his height appeared from behind the door.

"Yes? May I help you?" Confusion sat on his face.

Iwaizumi could tell the young man was around his age. His long, brown locks swooped off to the sides complimenting his facial structure.

Even Iwaizumi couldn't deny that the man infront of him was a sight to see.

"I know that I'm beautiful to look at, but what can I help you with?" He giggled

He raised up his hand towards his face and started waving it as if Iwaizumi was in some trance.

"Oh you must be Mrs. Iwaizumis son!"

Iwaizumi responded with a nod.

"You must be the new caretaker right?"

"Yup! come in" The Young man gesture me to come inside. His hazel filled eyes gleaming with excitement as he extended his arms out for a handshake.

"By the way I'm Oikawa!"

Oikawa filled with excitement, smiling at the boy infront of him so much his eyes squinted as if they were closed

This guy is way to energetic. I just met a second ago but hes acting like we've been bestfriend since childhood.

"I'm Iwaizumi" Clearly not matching Oikawas tome and energy, he took out his hand responding to Oikawas kind gesture.

following him inside, he took off his shoes placing them on the shoe rack.

"Your mother's in the living room by the way" Oikawa said closing the door behind him.

"Thank you"

The living room was small and old. The walls being made of wood that's been rotting for decades now, shown by the darker tinted hues of brown since his last visit. The pungent smell of the place gave off an antique carpet scent that reminded him of the smell of an old church, or chapel; that distinct "church perfume" smell that flooded memories of communion, and mass.

His mother sat on a rocking chair infront of the living room window. She looked weak, fragile. One touch might as well have shattered her.

Weak Iwaizumi repeated In his head

I would too if I lived in this mess. Iwaizumi looked at the corners of the room, dust slowly eating the place up.

"She hasn't taken her medicine yet, mind getting it for me" Oikawa stepped inside the room, still having that upbright attitude from a few minutes ago.

Iwaizumi couldn't explain it but, the presence of Oikawa gave off a feeling of comfort that made him feel safe. Like everything that could possibly go wrong, couldn't when he was around him. Listening to the soft, warmth of his voice that tingled his eardrums made him ignore how depressing, and cold the place had actually been.

Oikawa lingered with this distinct scent of baked goods, like freshly made cookies you would buy at the bakery. He could still recall it. The smell of freshly baked cookies sitting on the kitchen counter. Their sweet sugary scent slowly making it's way to his room. His mother would always bake him cookies every Saturday. It was kinda like a tradition they made ever since he was young, the smile on Iwaizumis face when he would take a bite out of her cookies always put a smile on her face. Never once did they break that tradition..until a few years backm

"Iwa-Chan?"