The First of Many Showers (Ella Present)

Tears; they roll down my face as I slip out of the house in the midst of the night. I can't think clearly. My body is trembling in fear as I run down the uneven driveway and onto the street. It was late. I could hear the rain pounding against the pavement; the air was thin and cold. Gusts of wind hit my face. The thunder continuously rumbled and it was raining so intensely as if the sky were crying.

          My entire life flashed before my eyes, sixteen dreadful years of pain and suffering all leading up to this very point. I honestly have no idea what I'm about to get myself into, but fear itself is what is driving me to this very point. I'm finally willing to take the risk and save myself before I'm consumed by agony.

          I turn the corner onto Washington Boulevard and continue to get as far as I can from that hellhole of a place. I'm trying to soak in every moment, every feeling, and every thought as my feet meet the ground over and over. I just want it all to be over. I want to be happy.

          I was wearing all black like he had told me to and I brought a backpack full of supplies that could easily last a few days. It was important that I couldn't be seen, that no one could recognize me or I would be put in imminent danger. I kept running as fast as I could in hopes to escape the only reality I had known. It's drizzling now, the storm seems to be slowing down. I'm growing near the end of the street when I see him in the distance. The rays of light from the street lamp meet his face. I made it to him out of breath. His eyes were drowning in fear just as mine were. Although he was trying to hide it, I could tell. He knew not to speak, but to comfort me. I could feel his warm body begin to press against mine as he pulled me in for a hug; it was relieving. He lightly kissed the top of my head and ran his fingers through my hair.

          "It's time," Joel whispers. I look up to him pausing for a second, and then slightly nodding as I accept my new life. He grabs my hand tightly and we rush into the thick layer of extended trees.