New Year's Eve

Todd hadn't realized it was already night time until his roommate, Neil, entered the room looking at him and laughing.

  — Todd, what are you still doing here sitting like this? - asked the friend closing the door and sitting in his bed with his hair still wet and a very nice outfit.

  Todd closed his notebook where he was writing one more of his poetry that he never allows anyone to read it, and he turned to Neil.

  — Just checking up some school stuff, what happened?

  — It's 7 pm, Todd. We're leaving in about thirty minutes or did you forget that today is new year's eve? - Neil looked at him, laughing.

  Todd hadn't forgotten. In fact, Todd was since the day before with his stomach aching just thinking about tonight. He had sworn to himself that today would be the day that he'd tell Neil the truth. But with all his nervousness Todd ended up creating this barrier inside himself that blocked him from getting up and getting ready to go to this godforsaken party where he'd probably ruin his friendship with his best friend and the best friend in question would never want to see his face again

  Yeah, Todd wasn't really excited about that.

  — Is it seven already? - tried to disguised — I think I lost track of time.

  — Then go, get up and go now take a shower and come back here with your best outfit so we can go to the party.

  Todd just nodded and gathered his stuff and went to the bathroom.

  About 15 minutes later he came back wearing his best sweater, he caught Neil starring at the floor with half a smile in his face.

  — Did you win the lottery? - announced Todd as he entered the room and went looking for his perfume.

  — What? - Neil looked at him lost as if Todd had just pulled him out of a trance.

  — I'm ready. Have the guys decided if we're walking or...

  — We are walking, yes, but they are already gone - explained the roommate still looking at Todd with that half a smile in his face — Charlie said he was too lazy today to go walking and he wanted to get there as soon as he could so he called a cab and all the others decided that they were lazy as well to walk for 15 minutes.

  Todd thought that was a bit weird but laughed anyway. He grabbed his coat and Neil's and gave it to his friend opening the door.

  — Shall we go then?

  Neil got up and they went out.

  The snow-covered the floor as they were walking. Todd's mind was blowing up and he started to think that maybe, just maybe, he shouldn't say anything to Neil. He'd swallow his feelings and he'd move on with his life. For him, that option was actually very interesting.

  He was lost in his thoughts when Neil started talking.

  — What are you thinking about now?

  — Sorry? - asked Todd.

  — What are you thinking? You're quiet since yesterday, I thought you were excited about the party.

  — I-I am. I'm just tired I guess... trying to imagine how's next year gonna be.

  — Like what specifically?

  — What do you mean?

  — How's next year gonna be as in like family, friends, school... romances maybe? - Neil focused his look in the snow and his footsteps, never letting that half-smile off his face and Todd began to question what would that expression mean.