HIS WORDS FOR MOTHERLAND

Strolling towards the campsite I walked away from 'his' quarter with red and puffy eyes. There was an attack from enemies at midnight. Few soldiers were critically injured.  The attack was stopped eventually. Captain called me at 2:00 am. Immediately informing others , I walked towards the injured quarters. Reaching there I started performing my work.
As an army doctor it is my duty to heal their injuries and treat them. My colleagues started working too. While turning to get a bandage from the medical kit I saw a soldier entering the tent . He made his way towards me and told me 'he' was one of those few soldiers who got major critical injuries . He told me that 'he' was taking 'his' last breaths and wants to see me. My breath  got hitched in my throat. I wanted to run towards 'his' quarter  but I couldn't. How could I ? , I was on my duty which was here.
My other companions assured me that they will take care over here and I should go. I moved my head towards Captain was permission. He gave me a nod with a sad smile. I nodded back and followed the soldier toward 'his' quarter as fast as possible. There 'he'  was in 'his' full glory , fighting with death like a warrior 'he' was.
I made my way towards the right side of the bed and stood on my knees. With trembling hands I took 'his' hands in mine. 'He' open 'his' eyes and turned 'his  gaze towards me. As usual 'he' started the conversation in teasing manner .
"So got sometime for me I see",'he' spoke with 'his' dreary voice. "Missed me huh ! ", I replied with my eyes full of tears. I was on the verge of breaking but for 'him' I controlled myself. " Of course not , why would I miss you , I was serving my motherland . I didn't had time for missing ", 'he' countered my statement with faux scoff ." Really ",    I spoke again with watery smile . There was silence for few minutes. Then 'he'  broke the silence . " So it is time for goodbye I guess huh ! " ,'he' coughed a bit at the end of the statement . At this  I gently squeezed 'his'  hands which were already held in mine and spoke with a small glare, " Don't you dare think of dying and leaving me alone " . 'He' chuckled a little but spoke while staring distantly ," I wish I could stay but I can't ". That statement broke my  control , those tears which were threatening to fall finally started rolling down my cheeks. Still I spoke ," You can't leave us ,we need you ,Our motherland need you , I need you ". My voice got choked while speaking . 'He' removed 'his' one hand from my hold and cleaned my tears with 'his'  thumb. While caressing my cheek 'he' told me ," Don't worry I will comeback for our motherland , for them ,for you " . "Promise" , I extended my trembling hand . 'He' took it without hesitation with 'his' other hand and spoke with confidence while staring in my eyes, "Promise ". Captain came inside with other officer. "Jai Hind sir "'he' greeted them while saluting. " Jai Hind , you should speak less. Your condition is not well ", Captain replied. 'He' laughed but it was not like 'his' usual cheery laugh . It was dry and heavy .
'He' took along deep breath and spoke loudly , " VANDE MATARAM ". "VANDE MATARAM ",we spoke in unison . " Vande Mataram" , 'he' spoke once again  but it was not as loud as the first one but was still audible .
Those were 'his' last words before 'his' eyes become lifeless . I mourned over 'his' death , cried over the death of my beloved little brother .
I still remember his eyes , his smile , his laughs but the thing I remember the most is his answer to my question when  I asked what if he died in the war . He spoke with fire of passion dancing in his eyes , a fond and proud smile adorning on his lips ,"If I received martyrdom in order to protect my Motherland then it will be heaven for me".