➽Chapter 22

“So Mimi, tell us what was going on in kitchen before Adi and I entered?” Revati asked her youngest sister in law as the three bahus settled on a bench in their garden

Nothing bhabhi, I was teasing him and he got irritated so he threw the chanas on me and in retaliation I threw the egg on him. So starting a food fight.” Meher shrugged and the rest of the two ladies shook their head in disbelief.

Waise, where are Adi bhaiya, D bhai and that idiot? They weren't present inside also.” Meher inquired to which Vriti replied, “Bhabhi was craving some weird flavoured ice cream so they are on a mission to find it.”

Which flavour?” Meher asked curiously.

Bottle guard” Revati giggled.

Seriously bhabhi? Where at night they are going to get that flavour ka ice cream? Also does this flavour exist?” Meher asked and Revati just shrugged.

The three of them were randomly talking and somehow they landed on the topic of Revati's wish to open a foundation for women.

Bhabhi, your idea is fantastic but you know before going out and planning to change the status of women, we must start at our home.” Vritika spoke.

“Meaning? I didn't understand, please elaborate.” Revati asked in confusion.

See, we are well educated and even our husbands and family is well educated yet our family still follows the patriarchal rules like eating after the males, only women cook, etc. We all know these are bullshit rules yet we follow. If we can't change that now and go in society to change the female status, we'll be hypocrites.” Vritika put forward her point of view.

I agree with Vriti bhabhi. Tomorrow when Eri is going to get married she'll be going and following the same rules there, why? Because she will be a daughter in law there and not daughters. Also, if your child is a girl won't she be learning the same?Like learn throughout your life both the genders are equal and then silently follow the rules when you get married.” Meher supported Vritika.

Okay I agree with women unintentionally changing their thought processes after marriage and keeping themselves as second priority but what about the young girls who are raped who are tortured by the society if they think of giving that child a birth and not abort? Can't we do something for them?” Revati questioned.

Yes we can and if we have the resources to help then we definitely should but baby steps at a time. First off we need to change the female thought process of thinking themselves inferior and reduce male ego.” Meher answered calmly.

So that's what, I wish to do but Adhyan is like do everything you wish after the child is born.” Revati says in irritation.

That's because I want you to take as much rest as possible, so our baby is healthy.” Adhyan who just entered with his brothers spoke.

Adhyan, why don't you understand that pregnancy is a beautiful phase which needs to be enjoyed and not a disease for which you need to keep worrying about.” Revati spoke in anger due to her mood swings kicking in.

Okay do as you wish, you are speaking as if I am one of the male egoistic husband who ties his wife to household chores only and cage her dreams.” Adhyan spoke not realizing what his anger is making him speak.

Well you were the same before the whole Vikrant fiasco. Though you wanted to protect me, you had caged me. I was a certified teacher who used to work in an international school but as it doesn't suit the Chauhan bahu image your family made me leave the job and then I started working as a teacher in an NGO as a social worker. Though everything is normal between us at this moment doesn't mean the wound you gave me in last two years due to your fake hatred is healed.” Revati poured each and every word which she had buried deep inside her heart.

Umm, Adi bhai & Reva bhabhi, this is going overboard. You both are not in a right frame of mind to talk. Let's go and sleep. Please discuss this topic tomorrow when you both are a bit  relaxed.” Dishank intervened before Adhyan could reply.

I'll sleep in Meher's room today. I have no energy to fight anymore.” Revati spoke.

Bhabhi she is already asleep, you sleep in my room with Meher. I'll sleep in yours.” Samay said and motioned Meher to take her in.

After the ladies left Dishank spoke, “Bhai what was the need of blasting on her? You could have talked calmly and put your point in a more better way. Plus you knew her hormones might kick in anytime.”

“I swear, I tried controlling but I couldn't but I promise I didn't tell about her leaving her job. I don't know why she has this idea of me telling her parents to make her leave the job.” Adhyan spoke after sometime.

It's okay bhai, there might be some misunderstanding. Talk to her tomorrow. Everything will be normal.” Samay said and placed a hand on his shoulder.

The brothers went to sleep after putting the bottle guard ice cream in the refrigerator.

The whole night both Revati and Adhyan couldn't sleep and  unknowingly they both landed in the kitchen at the same time.

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

Hey guys, I think this update was a bit overboard but I do need your opinions on some of the few topics.

Working during pregnancy?

Do women change their thought process after marriage?

How can the useless patriarchal rules be changed?

Anyways, do vote, comment and share.

Also I would be glad if the silent readers gave atleast a single comment on their views on the chapter. This helps me understand what the readers are expecting.

Ps- I am extremely sorry if someone's opinions are hurt by me through this update.

Love,
Writer!