four

THEO
Once I got home, I found myself scanning the library for Jane Austen. My fingers ran along the spines of the books trying to find one. As I did it I was mumbling to myself, until someone spoke from the other side of the library.

"Why are you talking to yourself Theo?" It was Charlotte's voice.

"To make sure I don't forget what I'm looking for." I replied, turning back to the shelves of books next to me.

"What are you looking for?" She asked, sucking her thumb.

"Come here." I waved my hand towards me gesturing her to come to me. Once she did I crouched down and picked her up, holding her in one of my arms. "I'm looking for a book."

"There's loads though, it's not hard!" She squealed.

"It's a specific one." I smiled at her.

"For you?" She rested her head on my shoulder as I went over to the next shelf.

"No, a friend."

"Which?"

"You don't know them Char."

I continued looking for another 5 minutes before mum walked in.

"Come in Charlotte, you need to go to bed." She came over and gently took her out of my arms.

"I was helping Theo find a book for his friend." My mum raised an eyebrow at the girls comment.

"Oh yeah? What friends this?" She asked, a grin plastered on her face.

"Just someone I know, it doesn't matter i'll find it tomorrow." I began to walk out but my mum grabbed my arm with her spare hand.

"Let me take Charlotte to bed, then I'll help you find the book you're looking for." and with that she left the room and I found myself sitting on one of the chairs waiting for her.

No more than 10 minutes later, she came back in.

"Right, what book are we looking for?" she asked, clasping her hands together.

"Uh- a Jane Austen one." I stammered "Not Emma though." I added on quickly.

"Jane Austen, but not Emma, alright." Mum repeated.

As we searched each row for a book, my mum started conversation.

"So." She looked over to me from the other end of a shelf. "Do I know the person this is for?"

I copied her actions and paused from looking to glance at her.

"Uh, no." I got anxious and quickly went back to flicking through books. However, I could still feel her eyes on me, and I knew she had a smile glued on her face.

"Ah ha! Found one." She pulled a novel that was wedged in between two others and handed it to me.

'Sense and Sensibility'

I ran my thumb over the cover examining it, before lifting my head to see the woman in front of me.

"Thank you."

"I hope whoever you're giving it to enjoys it." the same smile still present. She turned on her heels and left the library, leaving me alone with the book.

FREYA
"Hey mum." I closed the door behind me, hanging my coat up with the others.

I saw my mum sat on the sofa watching a film, so I kicked my shoes off and went and sat with her. She looked down at me as I wrapped my arms around her, wrapping one of hers around me.