Chapter 1: Blind Promises

Chapter 1

March 1941 

Driving with Danny was one my favorite past times. His crooked smile as I rolled down the window to his pickup and stuck my bare feet out was everything.

"Stella Grace Hall why must you always have to feel the wind between them toes?"

His tone was always playful with me, that's the thing about Danny. Anyone who knew him, knew that he was hot headed, but when it came to me... he was softer than the clouds in the sky.

"Because it feels like flying! And you know that's my dream, Bubs. I want to fly through the sky and feel the wind more than anything. Isn't fair that the military won't allow women in. I'd be fearless up in them clouds."

He leaned over and nipped at my earlobe as his sandy brown hair tickled my cheek.

"Little Bird, one day I promise to take you up in them clouds. I'm going to become a pilot just for that. To teach my girl how to fly.  That's the only reason I'm enlisting to begin with. Gotta make your dreams a reality."

I leaned back and captured my boys mischievous smirk with my lips.

My favorite thing to steal was his kiss.

Whispering against his soft lips, I couldn't help but giggle as his crooked grin widened.

"Daniel James Brady, promising me the world. All I want is you, Bubs."

He took the corner to Angels Peak sharp and fast, knowing I'd end up in his lap.

"You already have me Bird. Now let me give you the sky."

That day spent with Danny on Angels Peak was everything life is supposed to be for a young couple in love.

We spent the day laid out on a blanket overlooking the mountains of the North Carolina wilderness.

The sun was warm on our skin, the wind graciously offering a soft breeze.

It was the day before Bubs was leaving for basic training.

The day Daniel James Brady asked me to be his flying partner for life, his wife.

He didn't have a ring yet, so he made me a paper bird instead.

It was all I needed, and he swallowed my yes with them soft lips. Spinning me around in his arms on the cliff overlooking Rocky Bluff.

I knew that paper bird would stay with me till my last breath.

It was our last simple day. The last time I'd see his carefree crooked smile.

Within twenty-four hours, I was driving with Danny again, but this time he wasn't smiling. His features were flat and his fingers were gripping the wheel too tightly turning his knuckles white.

I wanted to tell him to lighten up and take a deep breath.

But I realized I was holding my breath along with him. That my knuckles were gripping the passenger door, mirroring his gripping the wheel. If I smiled, it wouldn't be true.

Because I was losing my best friend for an undetermined amount of time.

Who knew how long his training and service to our Country would be. The love of my life was sitting next to me about to pull into the train station, and yet we could barely look at each other.

My traitorous tears began to escape from my eyes and I was helpless in holding them back.

Bubs was never good at seeing me cry, and today wasn't any different. He pulled into the small train station of our small hometown of Mason, North Carolina and turned the engine off.