six

It took 2 weeks for them to finish the book. Fourteen days of meeting at the same time, at the same place to have Freya sit and read chapters to Theo. It was a strange combination of people, yet the two got on well. There's was a strong friendship blossoming at the reservoir.

THEO
Being around Freya made me feel normal, even if it was just for an hour, and I enjoyed it. I was distracted from the chaos around me. In all honesty, the book I had give Freya was boring, but I knew she enjoyed it, and I enjoyed listening to her voice. I hadn't told anyone about her, although, my mum suspected something was up.

I was sat outside on a wall staring at...nothing when I felt a presence next to me.

"Hi Mum." I said, acknowledging her.

I saw her smile from beside me.

"I never asked, did your friend like the book?" She quizzed.

"Uh, yeah they did." My words came out stumbling.

"Good." Her voice was gentle, like it usually was. "You know you can tell me anything Theo."

Her words shocked me a bit, I mean I knew I could tell her anything but she had never straight up told me.

"I know." I wasn't sure what to say.

She didn't speak for a moment.

"Like why you're so keen to walk the dog every night." She smirked, I had never seen her smirk before.

"Just like the fresh air." I glanced over to her.

"I won't be mad you know."

"Mad at what?" I asked, having a vague idea of the answer.

"If you'd made a friend on your...walk."

I didn't say anything, partly because I was shocked she'd got it spot on. My silence gave it away to her.

"See, mums know everything." She pinched my cheek. I pushed her hand off chuckling.

"So" She spoke, urging me to speak.

"So what?"

"So, what are they like."

"She's nice, a good liste-" I began to speak but got cut off.

"She?" She dragged out her word.

"Yeah."

"Is she pretty?" She was pushing with the questions.

"Uh, yeah I guess." This was an awkward question. Of course Freya was pretty, but saying it out loud sounded weird because she was just my friend.

"You guess?" My mum raised an eyebrow.

"She's just my friend." I knew where my mum would take this, so I shut the idea down straight away.

"What's her name?"

"Freya."

"Lovely name." My mum grabbed my hand and looked at me. "Just make sure she not...using you."