Roe :-)

Chapter 1

**Roe's POV**

1:00 A.M. - Waiting for sleep to come.

4:00 A.M. - Still no sleep.

6:00 A.M. - Sleep never came. Time to go to work.

That makes 3 days now without sleep. Why? I feel tired, but I just can't physically sleep. Gail said it was normal and that our minds can tell when something is bothering us, even when we can't.

I shrug off the covers and head for the bathroom. I take a 5 minute shower, scooped my long pin-straight hair into a pony-tail, pull on my blue jean shorts, and yank on my "Surf's Up Arcade" work uniform over my bikini top. My shoes lay by the door with my car keys stuffed into the right shoe, so I wouldn't lose them (Which I am known to do). I smell french toast mixed with the all too familiar scent of the ocean, which is about 40 ft from the front door. I reach the bottom of the stairs in record time. Ready for the long day ahead.

"Off so soon? But I made your favorite." I freeze by the door.

Crap.

Gail.

She's short, maybe 4 foot 9 . . . maybe, if that. She's in her 70's but her attitude tell's you other wise. She's clever, funny, and smart.  She doesn't take any crap yet she has this motherly warm feel about her that lets you know that you could tell her anything and she wouldn't judge. She's one of a kind. My Gail.

"Sorry not today Gail, I have been late all week, I can't afford to get fired." I felt bad, but needed the money, plus Gail new that. She wouldn't hold it against me.

"All right, but I want you home as soon as you get off work" She paused, "Understood? And if that boss of yours gives you trouble . . . well you call me and I'll give him a piece of my mind." Gail can be really intimidating when she tries.

Her tone became more serious, "Roe, I mean it!" I nodded to let her know I understood.

"Your wish is my command!" I answered in a sarcastic tone. I raced out the door, down the porch steps, and in to the front seat of Judy. Judy is my ancient green and rust colored jeep.

When I got the car "Judy was here" was scratched in to the vinyl under the dash. I name everything, always have. When you name something, it just kinda becomes more yours in a way.

I don't usually take my car to work, but I'm running late and don't have time to walk the 3 mile board walk to the Surf's Up Arcade and Cafe. It's early in the morning so there really isn't anyone on the road. It's summer break so people usually sleep in. If any one's awake, their either going to work, or joining the morning beach runners. I desperately wish I could join them (The runners that is). I pull into the back lot with 5 minutes to spare and punch in early for the first time since summer started.

"Surprise . . . surprise . . . " I don't even have to turn around to know who it is.

Mandy Montgomery.

We had been best friends when we were 13. We grew apart when I moved in with Gail. Unfortunately she works the Surf's Up Cafe during my shift in the arcade, but Gary's trick shop separates the cafe and arcade, so we rarely saw each other while working. I had a snaking suspicion that she was the one that said something to our boss Dick (A name he lived up to) about me being late all the time. I really don't have an excuse for all the late's, I just have this knack for being late everywhere, I always come prepared, but sometimes I'm late by 5 minutes at the most.