Next Time

The doorbell rings and Kedama starts barking, running around in circles. I get up and open the door, "you can come in and wait for a bit, I'm still getting ready."

"Geez, did you sleep late again?" Yuki walks in and Kedama runs up to him. He crouches down to pet the dog, which gives him plenty of kisses in return.

"Not really, you're just early." I look up at the clock, 7:48, we were supposed to met up at 8. 

"It's called chivalry, gotta be there early to impress my date." He smirks and looks up at me.

I roll my eyes at him, he's such a hopeless romantic. I grab my jacket and bag and hold out my hand to help him from up off the floor where he was playing with Kedama.

"Thanks babe." He says as we walk out the door and he leads me toward our destination.

"Don't call me that."

"Why? What's wrong with it, ~babe~" he nudges me in the shoulder and I can feel myself blush.

"It's weird and cliche." I turn away so he can't see my face.

"So if I find a better name I can call you by that?" His face lights up, smiling wide.

"I guess."

"Mission accepted." He has that look in his eyes, that look of pure determination and I know he's not going to give up until he finds a nickname for me. He's not one to give up on a challenge.

"Where are we going?"

"On a date," he pauses for a moment trying to gauge my reaction, "to the aquarium."

"Oh."

"Oh?" Yuki looks worried for a second.

"It's just that, I've never been to the aquarium before."

"Really? Are all of our dates going to be to places you've never been before?"

"I still don't know if the first one counted as a date."

"Hey, we went out together, it counts."

"You never asked me out though."

"Yeah but you still agreed to come with so I didn't need to," He looks proud of himself by saying that, "I asked you this time though so it definitely counts, sugar."

"Nope."

"Not that one either? What's wrong with it?"

"Just no, I don't like it."

"Aww, guess I'll just have to try again later," he throws his arm around my shoulder, "you feel cold, are you alright?"

"I'm fine." I try to say but a shiver runs through my body. 

"You are cold, here," he takes off his scarf and wraps it around my neck, "is that better sweetheart?"

"Try again, and I don't need it, I was fine before, and now you're gonna get cold instead."

"The thought of you keeps me warm." He wraps his arm back around my shoulder.

I can feel myself physically cringe at that, "you're too sappy."

"Yeah maybe, but I know you secretly love it."

I just shrug in response as I see the sign to the aquarium up ahead. 

"Oh sweet, we're almost there, that felt like a much shorter walk, but you know what they say, time flies when you're having fun!"

"How is just walking fun?"