Chapter 1- that poor girl

August 22nd, 2045

"I'm late late late DAMMIT RILEY WHERE ARE MY SHOES?" A now fully awake brunette slipped out of her bed, only to awake to her twin sister's empty bed and the sensation of the cold, glass floor. She wanted to scream for her mother's assistance, but 'hollering like a mangy animal is incredibly unladylike.' 

"RILEYYYY!" she whined, flinging on her fluffy robe and stalking down the spiral staircase angrily.

"Beatrice, stop that, please. Riley is already here, we need to have a talk. Come along." Her mother called from the dining room.

"This can't be good," she thought, annoyed. She walked hallway through hallway, not bothering to look at the many paintings Riley had covered the walls with, she was so lost in her thoughts. "I finished writing my resume, I fed Kitty last night, I submitted my homework...so that's not it...oh no, what if someone died?" I pushed all those thoughts aside when she heard hushed voices behind the kitchen. She paused in front of it, stopping to eavesdrop.

"...how could they drop this on us out of the middle of nowhere?"

"...poor Ms. Bea had an interview today..." her ears pricked up at the mention of her name. What could've gotten in the way of her interview? There wasn't another global pandemic, was there? They had barely made it through the last one.

She didn't bother to listen anymore, she sprinted to the dining room, desperate to find out what was going on. Skidding to a halt, she caught her breath, and entered the massive room.

What an unusual sight to walk in on. Never before had she seen her mother and sister crunched over the large television, staring into it like a teenager's first phone. Her mother and sister didn't even like each other enough to be in the same room most of the time. 

She cleared her throat. "What's happening?!" 

Riley's head shot up. Without a word, she pushed back her seat on the other side of the room and dashed to her sister. Her face was paler than normal. She tugged on the sleeve of her robe once she reached her. "Hurry up Trix, it's about to start." 

Their mother looked up, her face also traced with signs of worry, which she would normally never show, in fear of wrinkles. She barely acknowledged her daughters, she just motioned for them to sit. Riley pulled her closer to the head of the table where their mother sat.

"Riley. What. Is Going. On?" she hissed in her sister's ear.

"We don't know," Riley said nervously. "The president said that there was news that affected everyone, including the Regrettables." Their mom heard this, and scowled.

"Riley, you know better than to speak their name. This family is better than that." she lectured, clearly displeased. Okay, things hadn't changed that much. Riley rolled her eyes, like usual.

"You treat it like it's Voldemort, honestly, it's ridiculous mum. They're people too, and they deserve to at least be mentioned!" she protested in their favor. Riley had never met a Regrettable before, (as far as they knew) but she stood up for them nonetheless. 

The television practically exploded. The girls rushed over, tumbling and toppling over each other to get closer to the huge screen.

BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS

"Hello everyone, my name is Amanda Sterling and we interrupt today's episode to deliver urgent news from the president of the world. Her daughter, Emilia, age 8, has unfortunately passed away due to an attack from a Regrettable bounty hunter. The attacker was immediately arrested and questioned for their motives.  It's heartbreaking, what they said. Roll the clip."