An invitation

Julien was sat at Le Retailer in the merchant's district of West Lormon't, his usual spot during the day.

He spent his time selling relatively common items such as iron and wheat to suckers for ridiculously high prices. All it took was a forced smile here and a made up story there and boom! Business.

"Just a few more hours until closing," Julien mumbled to himself as he picked at his fingernails.

The sun hadn't even started to set, but that didn't stop him from wanting to crawl back up in bed for some well deserved beauty sleep. Working was hard, especially now when business was slow.

Julien sighed and kicked his feet up onto the glass display case. The store was completely barren; not a single soul (other than Julien himself) had been inside for hours.

"They don't know what they're missing," He whispered, expression scrunching up in bitterness as he glared at the heavy wooden door.

Le Retailer was one of the few shops in the district that was inside an actual building. The competition couldn't ever keep up with their little stalls and cheap items- or at least, in the past they couldn't.

Upstairs from the shop was Julien's home. It was nice, spacious enough for one person. Plus, he could decorate it however he pleased and actually had a kitchen, unlike some less fortunate people.

However, if business kept follow its current pattern, Le Retailer would have to join the others as a meek little stall on the corner.

"This shop is in such a sorry state. I really need to do a deep cleaning sometime this month," Julien thought out loud. His gaze had wandered to a cobweb in the corner of one of the rafters. It was unsightly.

As he thought about how far he'd let things slip, the sound of a horse galloping outside reached his ears. It was followed by a general sort of commotion.

This wasn't anything uncommon, but it did give him a sliver of hope that a customer would come in within the next few hours.

With a grin, Julien took his feet down from the counter and eyed the front window.

"Jules!" A voice called, then the door swung open. Instantly, the merchant's face fell.

"Welcome to Le- oh. Hello Mels," He said, visibly deflating back into his seat as she slinked right up to the register. The grin on her freckled face couldn't mean anything good.

"Are you actually going to purchase something for once? Or have you come to torture me?" Julien asked, looking up at her with displeasure blatantly written across his features.

Mels cackled and leaned against the counter, "No, but I do have a letter for ya, ya big hunk of lard."

Julien sighed and stood. He straightened out his vest and came over to his so-called friend. He found that acquaintance was closer, but she always insisted on the prior term.

"Let me see it," He said, putting his elbows into the display case and presenting his hand to her.

Mels slapped the letter into his palm, "It's from Rynoka. Some Willy sent it, and uh, don't pay any mind to how the top is ripped open. Curious minds got impatient."

Julien glanced at her, the hints of a smile curling at his lips as he opened the letter. His long fingers unfolded the paper and his free hand coming up to tuck a strand of long brown locks behind his ear.

Greetings Mr Chambers,
      I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing on behalf of the town to request that you open shop here in Rynoka. As you are probably aware, our town has dungeons- ancient passages to other worlds. They attract merchants and heros alike.
      Townsfolk are interested in items from within these dungeons, and while our town already has one shop which sells such wares, we are always looking for a wider range of business in that regard.
      There is  already a property available for your shop, Le Retailer, and you will be given 5,500 coin both for the journey and to get you onto your feet during the first few weeks here.
      Thank you for taking time to consider my request, Rynoka hopes you accept.