Prologue

Dark clouds were everything that could be seen in the sky. Fog and smoke had choked out every small spec of light that might have escaped through the thick cover. From the ground rose high peaks of black stone and cracks and gorges ripped through the landscape like enormous scars. The only light to be found in this world was the smoldering embers within the mountains. Red streams ran like blood down the slopes before they either turned to burning waterfalls or materialized into grey stone and emerged with the rest of the mountain. The only sigh of what could be presumed as life was occasional shrilling screeches that echoed through the barren cliffs and a large fortress. The towers as twisted and dark as the mountain it was built upon. By the bottom of the fortress large spears has been nailed to the ground in a giant circular shape. The sharp ends pointed towards the middle creating something akin to a large cage. Within the confines, animalistic screeches and screams could be heard. Large scaled creatures slithered, walked and flew among each-other fighting, growling or just dazing. A large metal gate opened revealing a large shadowy figure with a black crown that completed a thick armor. The eyes or face could not be seen but the malice and hate within was still unquestionable. The creatures fled from the dooming gaze. Then the dark lord spoke with a voice so hoarse as claws scraping stone but still wielding immense power, "My creatures... With this ring, my power it finally at its peak and nothing will stand against me and the rest of the world. Long have we dwelled in these wastelands but now as one united army we shall eliminate the last rebellion" Sauron, for that was his name called out to all the generals of the orcs, trolls and goblins alike and then to the creatures before him. They were few, too few to his liking, but they were his and they were powerful. Some had escaped his hold but most of them had been extinguished. These were the creatures, which would bring the free armies of Middle Earth to their knees. These were his dragons! The dark lord smirked under his mask but it was diminished by something in front of him. The smallest of the flock but the most promising. A red female. Not even half the size as the rest but more cunning, more stubborn and most troubling of all; the most defiant. "No" it said to him. Before the creature could think, he had swung a thick chain around its neck and pinned it to the ground. The female hissed in pain and barred its teeth. He tightened his grip and with his maze, he swung at the youngster's head breaking a horn and making it tumble to the ground but it stood again. This time he swung at its chest and with powerful blow, he sent it hurling towards a cliff. The youngster lay still. He huffed and dropped the chain in disgust. He would send his infantry to meet the opponent first then he would send in the dragons. The elves and men would never stand a chance then.

As their lord had left the other dragons turned to the still red mass on the ground. They could not detect any movement and came closer. A brownish male sniffed at the young one then snorted and turned to the other three, "This brothers is what happens when one defies the Lord Sauron. The little wimp got what it deserved" The others nodded. They went to their resting spaces to await their turn on the battlefield. After half an hour none seemed to have noticed that were a downed dragon had once been, lay now only a chain and a small pool of blood. The brownish male awoke hearing the screams of his brothers, bones breaking and teeth tearing through flesh. He got to his feet and looked around. Storm clouds had gathered and everything seemed if possible even darker. Then something dripped down in front of him. He stopped and took a closer look at the red substance on the ground before he stiffened. He looked to his sides before slowly looking up.

Sauron watched the battle unfold from his seat inside Mount Doom. He decided now was the time to send in the dragons. The horn sounded across the field and he waited with anticipation. Nothing happened. He ordered the horn to blow again yet still nothing moved on the sky. Then in the distance was a red spot almost impossible to see as it decreased into the horizon. The general of Morgoth swung his maze with a mighty roar and cursed, "know this dragon: No matter how far you fly or where you hide you shall be mine again the darkness will never stray from your mind until the day you die. No matter how must you resist." He clutched his hand that bore a golden shine and descended from his throne.

Smaug jolted awake. Why was she seeing these things now? She sighed and lay down her head to try reclaiming her sleep. She was unsuccessful however. It had been at least 60 years since she had felt that sting in the back of her head. Not since, she had left the Lonely Mountain and found a sheltered place far to the North. She looked towards the entrance to her cave and got up. She was suddenly aware of the scar on her chest. It had not bothered her since the damage was inflicted and it did hurt now but it was like running a hand down one's arm and then noticing and old scar. It did not hurt or irritate but... it was there. She stood by the cave's mouth and gazed into the night. The moon was not present but the stars covered the sky like a blanket. All was quiet yet something seemed amiss. The stars were dim almost without life. It was as if they were trying to tell her something was wrong in the wide world. As she stared at them a small light flashed before her eyes making her shut them in pain but it had vanished before she could decipher what it was. She did not have to think of it though. Something she had thought had been banished from her mind forever was slowly but surely returning. More powerful than ever. Even than the events unfolding by the Lonely Mountain. There was only one thing she could do and she did not like it. Not one bit.