3. Family

With the hem of her dress dragging across the floor, Ariana took long strides to reach balcony. She stood there for a while taking deep breathes when she felt the presence of her brother long before he walked up to her. She acknowledged him with a faint but genuine smile. "How was the run?"

"You wouldn't believe what happened today Ari! Father let me lead the run and scrutinize those pups." The look on his face could not be mistaken for anything other than pride. Pride of living up to his father's expectation.

Seeing her brother this happy, Ariana too broke into a bright smile. "First of all of course he would. He wants you to not only lead but also connect with them and secondly, they are not pups. Some of them are probably stronger than you." She teased.

"Oh you did not just say that. I have Alpha blood inside my body, my wolf is ruthless and I am taller than everyone."

"Taller doesn't mean stronger." She shrugged her shoulder.

"Wait until I defeat your mate in a duel." Anwar smirked.

"Now why would you possibly duel my mate?" Ariana rolled her eyes.

"To prove that I am the strongest and that you are the dumbest."

"I might not be physically strong but I can surely outwit you. Besides I am just waiting for the day when your mate shall come into the scene and put your arrogance into place." She mimicked Anwar's smirk.

"Or me turning her into an obedient wife is a greater possibility." Anwar countered with his chin held high.

"We shall see." Ariana challenged.

"That we shall. Anyways dinner is ready. People must have already arrived at the table by now."

"And you have come to fetch me. How nice of you." They started walking.

"I have always been nice and punctual unlike yourself."

"Really? You must have forgotten all the excuses and lies that I had to make to cover up your shenanigans, but I haven't."

When they reached the dining hall, the sound of her footsteps died and so did their banter. After showing necessary curtsy to eminent people, they took their respective seats.

As Ariana flipped the plate in front of her and started serving herself, Persephone acted to sound quiet but instead spoke in a volume as if making an announcement. "You are late, sissy."

Everyone at the table stopped.

Controlling a strong urge to roll her eyes, Ariana turned to Persephone who was on her right. "Sissy?" She rose an eyebrow.

"Yes, of course. Sissy is short for sister." giggled Persephone along with Mary, daughter of Beta Richard.

"I apologize to everyone for turning up late and specially to you, big sissy." replied Ariana not taking eyes off her elder sister for a while, then picking up a fork and start eating. Luna Barbara cleared her throat, making everyone resume with their eating. Ariana and Anwar shared a look and identical smirk before continuing to eat. This didn't go unnoticed by the Alpha as he sighed and shook his head.

**~~~**

During dessert time, Alpha Edward stood up before speaking. "As we are aware that the Kingdom was being handled by Duke Lorenzo as a regent, but now as the Crown Prince is finally capable of exceeding duties of the monarch, I am ecstatic to announce that he shall be taking his throne on a fortnight from today."

Not only the people inside the hall, but also the pack members were acquainted with the announcement through mind-link as loud claps and roars filled the surrounding. Everyone had been expecting to hear this news for quite some time. People inside the hall stood up and clapped before taking their seat as motioned by the Alpha.

"I and Beta Richard, along with our family have been invited to attend the coronation ceremony and pledge our loyalty to the monarch. We shall be leaving for the capital after a week."

"How old is the Prince, Alpha?" came an excited voice from Mary.

"Beg your pardon, my child?"

She lowered her face from shame. "How old is the Prince?" This time came a timid voice from her. Anwar snickered.

"Uh - Anwar is the same age as the Prince, I reckon." answered Alpha in an awkward manner.

Everyone excused themselves instead of the Alpha and the Luna.

" A fortnight from today, you say?" Luna Barbara asked. Alpha simply nodded. "But that is the day-

-the day our King and Queen were murdered by those blood sucking creatures? I know." Alpha cut in.

"I was going to say something else, Edward."

"And what could it possibly be?"

"Have you really forgotten or are you pretending?"

"Shall we go to sleep now?" replied Alpha dismissing the whole matter.

**~~~**

Ariana knocked at Anwar's door and waited before she heard. "What?"

"I have already waited for five seconds and now I am letting myself inside." She announced before barging in. They came face to face with each other before Anwar started clapping slowly. "Congratulation dear "sissy" for invading a kingdom called "my privacy". I am so proud of you."

Ariana broke into a grin and approached her brother who was sitting on a chair, reading a book. She sat on the chair next to him. "Thank you. I have always wanted to do that."

Anwar offered his hand which was gladly accepted by her and they did a mocking handshake. "Now why are you here? Pups are supposed to go to bed early." He ruffled her hair.

"You think everyone in this world, except for you, is a pup, don't you?" She folded her arms.

"Yes."

"Even the Alpha King?"

"Yes."

"Yes?"

"Yes."

Ariana let out a hearty laugh. "You know, I am very happy that the coronation ceremony shall take place in the same day as my birthday. People will finally stop seeing it as the day the former King and Queen died."

It hadn't gone unnoticed by Anwar how every year his and Persephone's birthday would have a grand celebration unlike his little sister's in which people would wear black and mourn. It was painful for him to witness his sister's heartbreak when their father would avoid her like a plague on that day.

"Now off you go and let me have my handsome sleep."

"Beauty sle-" She tried to correct but "- whatever. Good night."

Please vote and comment