Amour Propre

"Ok i will talk to him", Amanda put up the telephone over the ringer and heaved an air of shy. Tugging up her grey hair behind her ears she got up from the hall chair, with slow and shivering steps walked towards the bed room. Adam was there, as she expected would be, sitting towards the head piece of the bed, resting his back over. Amanda went across the room and sat beside him. Feeling her warm presence beside him, he bent over, took the edge of Amanda's sari, cleaned the spectacles,  and put on his golden rimmed glasses over his highly rosed nose bridge.
           Handing over the daily, "Aram called", Amanda's shrivelled voice feared his immediate reaction,
          "He wants us to be with him", after a reasoned pause, "together".
            As she feared, the morning sun rose from the east that day, Adam's response was quite spoken off by the cards.
           "With him! Are you out of your senses? I have given every last penny of my income to buy this house. You took his side when I told him to take up the highly paid job. Why? Because he wanted to be happy. You did not understand me then;  If you have money, you are happy. Now where is he? Living in a rent house over his salary! Now what can you name can make me leave this big house, my property for? "
           His spects tightened over his raised nose bridge. Looking over to her, he found her eyes closed, recumbent over the wood piece, resting her hands on her belly- doze off. Getting up from the bed,
          " What do you know? You have always dozed off to sleep whenever there's an arguement between us your whole life! Now you have come to make me understand?"
          With a tightened spects, and a wrinkled forehead he was about to step out the door.
          "His smile".

-Soumalya Chatterjee