1

a/n: Hi! I'm writing this, slightly inspired by Emma Cantrell-Miller's writing style because I love it so much, I feel like it really brings the story to life. This is the main character of this story, Emily Jordan, she's a 19 year old ballerina at the Royal Ballet in London, England. I used to dance up until I was 15 years old, so I'm basing a lot of this off of my experience being in a dance class, if it's not super accurate, I apologize, I was younger than the characters I'm writing about. Please let me know what you think, because I'm still trying to get back into the hang of writing. Also, I'm not from the UK, I live in America, so if some things aren't accurate, that's why, I'm sorry. I hope you enjoy!

"And 5, 6, 7, 8," Madame Calleigh shouted over the piano music playing throughout the studio, as I went into our usual warm-up routine at the beginning of each class. Plié, plié, grande plié, up into a relevé and passé. "Miss Thomas, keep your back straight when you plié, and Miss Watson, you must keep your head up, there's nothing interesting on the ground."

As much as I love ballet and Madame Calleigh, I can't help but to feel she's a little harsh. To be fair, it's all in a good manner but it feels like she's pushing us further than she should. I could be wrong though, what do I know. I'm only 19.

I've been dancing for most of my life, I was 4 when my mum put me into lessons like every little girl, but I never stopped. I always wanted to get better. I made so many friends, but so many enemies at the same time.

When you're young it's easy to make friends in dance class, because you have similar interests, but as you get older, those interests tear friendships apart. There's always competition for leading roles and all that stuff.

I lost too many friends through that, but I never lost my best friends, Sarah and Lily. We've stuck by each other's sides since day one. I remember my first day of class when I met Sarah. She was 6 and I was 4. We got on with each other very well and were practically inseparable. Lily joined the company later than Sarah and I at age 9 but we welcomed her in immediately.

"Alright everyone, go ahead and get some water, and sweats will be taken off for the rest of this session, you all should be warm by now." Madame said as the piano cut out. We all walked towards our bags in the corner of the studio to undress and grab some water before continuing on. "Miss Jordan," I heard her call. "I would like to speak to you for a moment."

"Yes, Madame Calleigh. What is it?" I asked politely, as that was the number one rule, treat others with the respect they give you.

"As you know, we are getting a new male dancer here at the Royal Ballet. He's not inexperienced but he does need someone to show him around and inform him on the rules and expectations of this company." I nodded along, understanding what she was saying. "I understand that you are one the most experienced dancers here, you started out as our youngest student in history, so I would very much appreciate it if you went to help out this young man."

"Absolutely, Madame. I would love to. I know this place like the back of my hand." It's true. I spend 15 hours a day, 6 days a week here.

"Alright. He will be here later today, after our lunch break. Please greet him properly, you will be excused from your lessons for the rest of the day." She informs me with a stern voice and a nod.

"Thank you so much, Madame Calleigh, for allowing me the privilege of welcoming the newcomer here!" I tell her, feeling rather excited about her seeing me as the most experienced dancer here.

"It's no problem at all. Now, everyone in the middle of the floor, we are going to practice our sautés before we get into choreography." She replied, clasping her hands together to grab the attention of the other dancers, still on their water breaks.