7. Conspiracy and Accusation

"Good morrow ladies and fair gentles."

As soon as Christopher entered the hall for breakfast, everyone from the day before's excursion gang groaned.

"You people are no fun either." He retorted and took a seat.

"So Ariana! When is your birthday?" came an unexpected question from Ivory, daughter of Alpha of Pack Ziram. She had a smug look on her face.

Ariana composed herself before asking "Why the sudden interest in my birthday, Ivory?"

"Ivory is only asking for your birthday, Ari. There is no harm in telling her." Persephone too had a smug look on her face.

"It is near actually. Four days from now to be precise." Ariana answered this time, without a qualm.

Judging by everyone's face, they had connected the dots. They looked less relaxed than before and the atmosphere had tensed up. Ariana tried hard not to let this affect her. She finished her plate and took a leave.

Emma, still eating the delicious steak, turned towards Christopher and asked, "So, where are you taking us today?"

"I was thinking of exploring vicinity of the castle."

"I suggest you take them to see the market, young man. They all would like to take back something from this place as a souvenir, I presume." Duke addressed Christopher.

"I was thinking the same, your highness." He answered.

"All of you! Meet me at the gate in an hour, will you?" saying that, he got up and headed outside. As everyone completed their breakfast, they too dispersed.

**~~~**

After an hour, Ariana, Naomi and Emma were standing at the gate. Ever since the word had gotten out that Ariana Saoirse Bennet, daughter of Alpha Edward was born on the same day their King and Queen had died, it spread like wildfire. Even the guards at the gate were giving her weird looks.

As Christopher was on his way, he heard giggling. He quickly hid behind a wall and listened to the conversation in hope of getting some juicy gossip.

"Did you see her face?" One of the girls asked.

"Yes! She became pale instantly." The other laughed.

He recognized those voices. It was of Persephone and Ivory.

"I cannot believe everyone was starting to take a liking to that weakling." Persephone huffed.

"Right? I got so pissed when my own father started praising her right in front of me. I knew then and there that I had to do something about it."

"Now people will see her for what she is. A curse. A bad luck. I mean, it could definitely not be a coincidence that the King and Queen died exactly when she came into this world."

Ivory nodded, agreeing to whatever was being said. Just then they heard Mary calling out their names.

"Sticks to me like a gum that one, I tell you." Persephone rolled her eyes. Ivory giggled.

As Mary approached them, the three of them headed towards the gate.

Christopher took time to process that not only others but Ariana's own sister had hatched a plan to hurt her. People already looked down on her due to absence of her wolf. Right when she had managed to win their respect with her words, they had started being skeptic of her even more than before. He wondered what else Persephone must have done back in their home to hurt her.