The Paranoid

"I'm telling you!" screamed a girl, "why won't you believe me Lukas?"

"Because that's impossible, Nicole!" exclaimed the boy, "how can you repeat that... that painful event over and over again?"

"Lukas you have to believe me, have I ever lied to you?" asked Nicole desperately, "please..." Her eyes were filled with tears when their eyes met.

"How though?" asked Lukas, "in your words it took nearly a year..."

"Two years..."

"Two years," continued Lukas, "to finally move on?"

"Yeah..." Nicole looked desperate the more she talked about it. With pity, Lukas brought Nicole closer to his arms.

"It's ok Nicole," whispered Lukas. He couldn't do anything for her. Besides, her explanation of the never-ending week was most likely an illusion caused by the stress from that day. December 25th, exactly last year, Nicoles' family was in a severe car crash caused by black ice. According to the police and science, it was caused by a natural drop in the temperature, the shallow hole from a tree that fell during the week, and the rainstorm that occurred in the morning. How can someone say that it was all their fault when it was just a coincidence. When all of it was just by chance... Just pure bad luck...

Lukas looked down at his more than a friend. He teared up to see her like this-in pain. The only thing that he could do for her was to convince her to realize that it wasn't real. That it wasn't her fault. But how could he?

The two embraced each other in the snow... for how long? They can't remember but it doesn't matter. For now, in this moment, everything was perfect.