An Offer

Ever since they met, Peridot felt a giddyness in her chest Everytime she got to be around her. Lapis just brought something out of her. She was strong, but so secretive and afraid of everyone around her. But it felt different when they were alone, when Lapis would sigh and let go of the facade.

She didn't fully understand why Lapis even kept it up, but she didn't talk about it with her dear friend. As long as Lapis felt comfortable and no one really got hurt, she didn't feel the need to complain. 

But a day came when Lapis showed up to their safe zone, their meeting spot, looking so upset and hurt that Peridot immediately dropped her phone.

"You okay, Laz?" She made sure to say it softly, to not startle her if she was in her own head.

Lapis shook her head. "I just… I agreed to something I can't possibly do. I don't know why, I felt I had to!" She sat up, gesturing forward at nothing in particular. "I mean I couldn't possibly… just…" she growled, frustrated. "...forget it. It's fine."

"Clearly it's not fine." The shorter girl huffed. "Is there a way I can help?"

"Not really?" Lapis spoke, looking up. "I have to find a date for a dance. But it's super weird because it's not just a normal dance. It's like a fucking competition. I can't believe I even agreed. I just couldn't let Jasmine win. But she's gonna win anyway."

"Competition how?"

"It's really stupid." The tan skinned girl replied. "It's all a part of the whole, elite family bs." She stood. "Listen to this, Peri." She stood on the box, bowing slightly. "All are invited to the Grande Masquerade held at our fine leaders estate, where the dates of our finest elite youth shall compete as champions for their partners." She stood up straight, letting go of the slight accent she had, lifting a hand like a priss. "The youth who bringeth the finest champion will be rewarded not only in popularity-" she stuck her tongue out in disgust, before continuing, "- but also have their family be rewarded for their taste and superior genes." She sighed heavily, plopping down again. "And naturally, it's another stupid thing I don't care about personally, but my parents are pressuring me, and Jasmine is… grr-" she gripped her fists. "I hate my life!"

"That's… a lot. What is it with rich families and their weird BS." Peridot huffed, managing a smile, hoping she could get Lapis to relax, even if only for a bit. "What are you gonna do?"

Lapis frowned with genuine sadness. "Well, I have two options. Give up and disappoint my family and let Jasmine win, which would be fine if both wouldn't be rubbed in my face till I'm eighteen. Or…" she made a disgusted sound. "...I flirt with guys," she looked up to scowl, "namely those my parents think are best.  And I go. And hope they are smart and strong enough to make me not look like a fool."

"...gross." Peridot said, genuinely as upset. But a sudden idea popped into her head, and she smiled wildly, hopping up and plopping down onto the crate next to her friend. "Well, what if you had a third option?"

Lapis turned, an amused smirk on her face, looking Peridot over. "Oh, so I'm assuming my great lovable and genius buddy has a solution?"

"I sure do, baby!" She said loudly, standing up. "Now, you don't want to flirt with guys, and you don't want to screw up things with your family or Jasmine. But you do need a champion, who could…" she leaned down, winking, "PASS as a male…" 

Lapis furrowed her brows before her eyes widened and she sat up, interested and curious on what Peridot had in mind.

"...so, though I may not look it, I am very smart. And…" she looked at her body build. "...such passable. So, Lapis, my dear friend, If you'll agree, I shall be your fearless champion!" She struck a pose, flexing one arm and turned away from Lapis.

Lapis blushed slightly, the idea of the dorky girl as her date not really surprisingly making her face flush. Her champion. She shook her head. "Peri, no offense, but-" The blonde turned around, intently listening. Lapis tried not to melt at that stupid grin. "- b-but you're not exactly what my parents would approve of…"

"That's the thing!" Peridot snapped her fingers, pointing casually at the other girl. "It's a masquerade, right? I just put on a suit and a good mask and no one will know. And if needed I can fake a deeper voice!" She moved forward, crouching, dropping her voice to a lower tone and with a proper sounding accent that made Lapis suck in a breath. "I'm not strong, darling, but I'm quick witted, hmm?" She tapped her forehead. Then she was back up, smiling. "And you can just tell your parents you found someone, and they won't question too much, right? I'm very creative, I can come up with a name and a short backstory. Something simple and easy and believable."

"I just… I don't know, I'm more scared You'll get hurt than I am of pulling it off." She rubbed her arm, looking up. "I care about you, so like… if you ended up pitted against someone and you got really hurt I don't know what I'd do…" 

She'd come clean about not liking guys to her friend, but not about how it was her that had her attention. Peridot was smart, and cute, and always had energy to spend. Lapis had fallen, though she couldn't admit it. Peridot was her only real friend, her rock amidst this sea of bullshit she would have to navigate for another year or so until she could leave for University.

"Well, it's a risk I'd take for you." The genuine and caring tone made her look up to meet the soft green eyes and sweet smile. Peridot crouched down, her hands taking Lapis's. "I told you once that friends help each other out. And I'd do pretty much anything to help. Before you I was the girl to bully to be cool. But you've put a stop to it, and you've taught me so much. So I'd gladly end up bruised on the floor for you." She laughed, breaking the thick tension, and smiled. " Not that it's the plan."

"I… Can I really stop you, dork?" She said softly, smiling back.

"Well, yeah, but then you'd have to be more fake than you've ever been. If you say no, we won't talk about it again."

Lapis thought for a moment, before sighing. "If you think you can pull it off…"

"Oh Lapis… I know I can." She stood, hands on her hips. "I may look like a complete nerd, but having to help garden and run away from assholes my whole life has me fairly fit and my wits are nearly outmatched." She puffed out her chest.

Lapis smiled as Peridot went on a rant about plans, ideas popping into her head.

Her champion.