The Seeds

Every day that goes by is the same, I go to school then a cafe. I do my work for an hour or two and go home. I don't have many 'friends' not that I want them but I guess it'd be nice to have someone around.

Today I might not go to the cafe, I'd rather go home and take a nap. If I go home then I won't have the motivation to do my work, if I go to the cafe i won't be able to concentrate. I should be fixing my sleeping schedule but I don't want to. I like the aesthetic of the eye bags and dark circles. I know it's weird but I have no one to impress. I don't like sleeping either. Sleeping just passes by time and I don't like the passage of time.

The clock reads 2:23, class is almost out. I still haven't decided on whether I want to go home.

The bell rang, everyone rushed out of the class pushing through the door like there was a celebrity just outside. I don't understand the rush. They're probably unorganized. They just shove their things in their bags and leave. I could never, I have to put everything away where it goes. It has to be neat. I can't stand being unorganized, if I am, my whole life goes out of balance.

I sent the teacher a smile and made my way out of the class, the halls were pretty much empty. Walking through a long quiet hall with my earbuds in is probably the best part of my day. It's soothing. My eyes staring straight ahead and my feet caring me through the hall, it feels like I'm floating. It's nice.

I let my feet guide me, down the stairs, out the gates and down the sidewalk. I look up to see the cafe. "I guess no nap today" i mumble to myself.

As soon as i opened the door the smell of coffee filled the air. The warmth of the building making contact with my skin after being out in the cold was comforting. I ordered what I always order, a size bigger this time. Today was weirdly packed, there's usually four empty tables at least, today, there's only one. Of course I went to that one and pulled my laptop out of my bag.

My drink was brought to the table. Today was extra loud. Usually I can just have one earbud in and be fine, today I need both.

Annoyed with the math problem in front of me i sighed and sat back in my seat. I starred at the screen trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Something in my brain finally decided to work and I figured out the answer.

Just as I was finishing an assignment the door opened and a gust of wind blew in cold air along with few dead leaves. I look up. A guy in a cap and all black walked in. Usually I don't pay attention to people who walk in, but there's something about him that just catches my attention. Maybe it's that he's wearing all black, there's something mysterious about people in all black. Or the aura he has surrounding him. Or maybe i'm just not in the right head space today.

Without realizing it, I kept starring. studying everything about him that i can see. His boots. the way one is starting to untie. His jeans more tucked in to one boot than the other, whether intentional or not, it looks good. His sweater that seems to already be fading from being washed so much. The black cap with lettering that I can't read from here. He turned around after paying to look around. Probably looking somewhere to sit.

Our eyes met and he let out a little smirk. Fuck. I looked down to my screen. I'm almost done with everything that's due tomorrow, the sooner I finish this the sooner i can leave.

"Hey." a voice appeared.

I looked away from my screen, the same boots i was looking at earlier.

"Your shoe's untied." I looked back to my screen. I heard him chuckle a little. He bent down to tie it.

"There are no more empty tables, can I sit here?" He asked.

I looked at him, then around. He's right. There still aren't anymore empty tables. I nodded and looked back to my screen. He sat across from me. I could feel his gaze on me. It's hard to ignore. I finally looked up and we met eyes again.

"Do you need something?" I asked trying not to sound annoyed.

"Your number would be nice." He responded. Surprised I look at my screen to avoid eye contact.

"You don't even know my name." I let out.

"Y/n?" he said questioningly.

I looked up at him confused and he looked at my laptop. Realizing what he was looking at I closed my laptop and let out a little sigh in defeat. I have a sticker on my laptop that says my name. 

"So can I get it?" He asked. I looked away from the laptop and back to him. Before I could even say anything he introduced himself.

"I'm Chanbin Seo." He smiled and I looked away nodding. I've heard that name before.

"Order for Changbin!" the barista shouted. He got up and I took this as my chance to get up and leave. It's not that he makes me uncomfortable or anything, I just don't know how to interact. I would give him my number but I don't want to seem interested. I mean he's cute but I don't know what if he turns out to be an ass. I don't have the heart to tell someone I don't want to talk anymore.

By the time I could really think about how I was going to leave he was already back. I started putting my stuff away. He watched and said nothing. I kind of want him to though.

"Can I get an answer before you leave?" He asked. He said it innocently, not strongly like he talked before. He sounded like a sad little kid.

"Whats your best pickup line?" I sat back down. He smiled and looked away thinking.

"okay okay," he sat up straight and cleared his throat. The aura around him changed, it was lighter, happier, fun. "keep a straight face, don't smile it's making me nervous." He said. I stopped smiling and bit my tongue.

"Are you turbulence? 'cause you're giving me butterflies in my tummy." He tried to keep a serious face after but the smile just kept creeping in.

I covered my face out of embarrassment. It's bad but cute. After laughing a little i got up.

"This was fun, but i have to go now." He looked a little disappointed but nodded and I left.

published - oct. 9. 2020 

I will publish as often as I can. I enjoy the story line I have in my head. I hope you enjoy it too as it plays out!